Pre-1997 Models

Power steering leak-

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering leak-

I had a flat, and found some new shoes- As in Kumho Road Venture AT51 31X10.50R15LT meat...

First trip across the wash on the new tires, I noticed a loss of power assist, and when I opened the hood, I saw some leakage. Looks like high pressure spray of power steering fluid.

I gather a high pressure power steering line change is a big job on a '96... Involving pulling a pully and a bag full of tools that I don't own-

Is it smarter to get the pump assy. from the junk yard with a good line attached, pay a shop to install a new high pressure line, or invest/rent the proper tools, and tackle the high pressure line swap myself in the driveway?

Old 04-22-2016, 11:19 AM
It's not a big job at all. The hardest part is likely to be getting the line out of the p/s box if it's really rusty. Put some penetrating oil on it right away and let it soak.
You just need some wrenches, some line wrenches would be a good idea, especially for the rusty one.
Put something on the driveway, and a bucket would be good to catch the drips.
Wouldn't hurt to use a little thread tape on the fitting on the new line.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:45 AM
I thought I'd have to remove the pulley from the shaft to get to the fitting-

Old 04-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Shouldn't have to. Only time you should have to take the pulley off is to change the whole pump.
If you open your hood and look, you should see the high pressure line sticking out the side of the pump.
There's a big nut that you want to hold with a wrench because you don't want it to turn; there is a small nut (flare fitting) screwed into the center of that that holds the line. That is what you turn. A line wrench would be good for that, and also for the flare fitting that holds the line into the steering box.
Have a look at how much crap is built up around that lower flare nut - if it's real bad you might want to hit it with a pressure washer first, or clean it up really good with a toothbrush. You don't want any dirt falling into the steering box.
If memory serves me correctly, those fittings probably aren't metric. 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4 come to mind.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the reply-

The parts guy told me it was a big job, when I went in and picked up the line. But after getting in there with a light, I see what your talking about. It looks a doable driveway job that I'll try and tackle after picking up a set of line wrenches

Odd thing is, no more puddles and the fluid is still a little bit over filled, like it hasn't leaked since the day it came down off the jacks???

Old 04-26-2016, 09:41 AM
If it's not leaking, it's not leaking.
If you turn the wheel with the motor turned off on a Ford, the pump will spit fluid out the cap - that could be the issue if all you have seen is the evidence of a leak and not the actual fluid spraying.
If the H/P hose is leaking you should be able to see it spraying. Get somebody to fire it up and turn the wheel while you watch the lines.
Might be it's fine.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Damn, 1995XLT...

I learn a lot on here, and most of it's from YOU-

I'd have to guess you to be a good ol'boy that owns a 30.06

I'll be feeling pretty damn clever, when I drain off my over-filled power steering fluid (the EZ way)

Quick Reply: Power steering leak-