Pre-1997 Models

New Exhaust ideas

Old 09-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Exhaust ideas

I have a 1996 F-150 log bed with a 300 sexy six. My truck has 203+k on the original (yes I said original) exhaust. Well, I have a pipe rattle going on, found that the seem weld broke. I know a simple clamp could fix it, but I'm ready for something different.

I was looking at cat-back systems, **I dont want the everyday duals running under the rear bumper, something different. I'm cool with the exhaust exiting out of the right side.

Any pros/cons with the exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels?
What brand and model sounds best out of the 300?
Does dual pipes exiting out of the muffler change anything? (power, gas mileage)

Any recommendations or ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

Old 09-09-2012, 12:58 PM
The exhaust exiting in front of the wheel can discolor allot wheels; there should be no issues with steelies.
Sound is pretty much a personal preference. I like my FM70 series but you might find it too quiet. A lot of people seem to like Magna Flow.
While you're replacing the cat-back, you may want to look at a high flow cat as well.
There is no appreciable performance difference between single and dual tailpipes.
There is however an appreciable performance difference in pipe size. A 3" pipe is simply too large for an otherwise stock 300. It kills the exhaust velocity; stick with a 2.5"

Old 09-09-2012, 01:05 PM
I think throwing alot of money on a exhaust for a truck with 203k on it is a waste personally. Go get a muffler and put it on. Like previously stated dual exhaust is mostly for sound/looks. Doesnt gain anything performance wise but if you go 3" pipes you'll lose performance. Ford as always done a spectacular job regarding factory intakes/exhaust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Exhaust ideas