Pre-1997 Models

opinion please...replace heads or go all out 92 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opinion please...replace heads or go all out 92 5.0

So I have a 1992 F150 5.0 with 185000 miles. Cylinder #8 is 80lbs where the rest are between 170 -180 lbs. Comparing prices and work involved, should I
just replace the heads (gonna do both sides just because it makes sense to me) or should I go for a remanufactured engine?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pull the heads first and look at the pistons, cylinder walls, ect. if you see any visible damage go re-man, if not just do the heads.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Do a wet/dry compression test before you do anything else.
If #8 is reads much closer to the same as the other 7 on the wet test, the issue is not the head, it's the rings or block

Old 05-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by 1997 lariat 4.6
pull the heads first and look at the pistons, cylinder walls, ect. if you see any visible damage go re-man, if not just do the heads.
was trying to avoid that step but it does make more sense to do it that way

Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
Do a wet/dry compression test before you do anything else.
If #8 is reads much closer to the same as the other 7 on the wet test, the issue is not the head, it's the rings or block
gonna do that tomorrow or Saturday when I have more time.

thanks to you both for the replies

Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 PM
First of all, going "all out" on a old lame 5.0 rebuilt is a waste of money and time. What do you want to do with the truck? your 4.6 is due to be rebuilt or tossed anyway.
It you want to go "all out"....stay with the MOD motor and put your money in a stroker motor is you want to buy tires everyother month. You might even be able to find a Cobra motor online and sell the factory junk super charger for a REAL BLOWER, (ATI).
For the price of what your about to spend on a rebuild of a Slow 5.0 you could have a "NEW" 5.0 550+ HP MOD moter...may even get 23 MPG.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FiddyCent
First of all, going "all out" on a old lame 5.0 rebuilt is a waste of money and time. What do you want to do with the truck? your 4.6 is due to be rebuilt or tossed anyway.
It you want to go "all out"....stay with the MOD motor and put your money in a stroker motor is you want to buy tires everyother month. You might even be able to find a Cobra motor online and sell the factory junk super charger for a REAL BLOWER, (ATI).
For the price of what your about to spend on a rebuild of a Slow 5.0 you could have a "NEW" 5.0 550+ HP MOD moter...may even get 23 MPG.
where are you coming from! mine is fine! we are talking about the i do believe 94 with the original 302! i myself plan on 4v heads in the future, but until then my mod motor wont be tossed, it'll be rebuilt!

Old 09-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Well its been a few months and I have been putting cash away for this project. Truck isn't an everyday vehicle so waited until after the summer to get started. It ran fine enough for the occasional Home Depot or Lowes trip along with getting me to the lake for some fishing.

I decided to just go ahead and rebuild the 5.0. Going to pull the engine, tear it down, have the block checked out and than order a rebuild kit. Not sure yet what cam and heads I'm going with but not looking to go crazy.

Will also be rebuilding the transmission while the truck sits. At almost 190,000 miles, IMO, better to just do it now so I don't have to deal with it later.

Quick Reply: opinion please...replace heads or go all out 92 5.0