Pre-1997 Models

Turning / Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning / Steering Issues

I have a 96 F250 (leaf springs), 4x4, Manual Hubs. My first question is; are these truck's tires supposed to tilt when turning or could i have a caster problem. ex: when I make a right turn the wheels go / / and on a left turn they go \ \ .....(the dashes represent the angle of the tires...) is this normal?

The second question deals with the feel of the wheels when turning. When turning the wheel near all the way (like in a parking lot) it feels like the truck is locked in 4wd and the wheels are slipping to keep in sink with each other, but I know its not (I have had people drive the truck while I watched the wheels). It does look like one or the other wheel is turned farther than the other (depending on which way it's turned) and the inside wheel looks like its turned father regardless of turning right or left.........Wheel bearings new, Ball joints (upper and lower on both sides) new. Axle pivot bushings both sides new. tie rods and drag link look to be in good shape. camber/caster bushings both sides new. Stops straight with hands off the wheel, tracks straights, unless you hit an uneven surface, then it feels like a gust of wind hit you. Feels like there is a little slack in the steering wheel.

I'm thinking the steering box or steering knuckle on the shaft (cant remember the technical term of the knuckle)??? Seems like the steering knuckle, if bad, could be the problem of the truck wondering driving on uneven surfaces but not the tire slipping in a parking lot (can't feel it in the steering wheel)??? I just wanted other opinions before I fronted the money for the steering gear box. Is there a way to check to see if it is the Steering gear box is bad? Shock bushing don't look that great, but from my experience, I wouldn't think that bad shocks/bushings would effect the truck this much??? Do I need to rethink this???

Did I mention it has a 460, heads ported and polished, cold air intake, long headers and TRUE dual exhaust, 4.10 rear end on nearly stock tires. It has the power, I just need to keep it going where I point it.

OH!!! there are signs of a collision front and rear, before I got it! Doesn't seem major. Old bumpers front and rear were a little off kilter when I got it. Everything else looks straight.

Any information would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:06 PM
It looks like there have been a lot of people that have looked at this thread with no replies. Thanks for looking and trying to help! This has been an interesting problem. I do have a new update.

As for the hitting an uneven surface and having the truck jump like it was hit with a gust of wind.....I think it is slack in the steering box and/or power steering pump. I think I have that down.

The turning problem, I think, is a positive caster problem. If turning right, the passenger wheel leans really far out (like positive camber) and into the turn, while the driver side tire does not lean into the turn but turns in farther. It does the same thing while turning left but the movement of the tires is the opposite (as one would expect).

Should the caster angle be the same for both tires? Should I have a 0 degree caster? Would a caster problem cause the problem described above???

Old 04-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Not quite following, when u say a gust of wind. Was it alligned after the front end was refeshed? Have u physically check the tie rods/drag link for play? (give em a good shake).

Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 AM
What I meant about a gust of wind, was that if I hit uneven pavement, pot hole,or something like that, then the steering will push to one side or the other and it seems like I have to over correct the steering wheel to get it back on track. It has been aligned since since everything was refreshed, but I was happy at all with the service and therefore I question the quality of work. Also, I have physically checked all the tie rods, drag link, etc. I can't find any plat in them.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks for a lot of views of this post. Just an update on my issues that are now fixed. A bad power steering pump was causing some slack in the steering wheel and letting the truck wonder around a little when I hit uneven surfaces. I took the truck to a recommended alignment shop for a second opinion (Now I'm really mad at the first alignment shop). The camber and toe were right where they need to be. I was told that the caster, on the other hand, was WAY OFF. Everything is running good now. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Turning / Steering Issues