Pre-1997 Models

'93 clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'93 clutch problems

well, i'm hoping to hear the magic words but what it is is what it will be. trucks in the shop so im just wondering what the total will be and what the shop finds out.

weeks ago as i had the clutch in between gears as i let up i felt a serious clunk. No doubt it sure sounded like the transfer case or transmission. A week went by and the other day the clutch stuck to the floor with no resistance. couldn't get it into gear so had to be towed to the shop. the clutch master cylinder res. was ok along with the break fluid. However under the dash where the push rod and wireing harness attaches there was a tad bit of oil if you touch it with your finger and just a bit on the carpet foam underneath. Didn't look like anything major but i'm not a mechanic.

the transmission shop said first thing we need to inspect is the clutch master cylinder. I just only hope that is the problem. If it turns out to be the slave cylinder, i'm up a creek and totally screwed. My entire check from social security will have to go towards the check i'm sure. I didn't get a quote from the tranny shop if they find that the slave cly. is out but another shop before i took it to this shop told me 8, 900.00 is that a fair price?

anyway, this tranny shop I think is giving me an ok price. 130.00 which includes the parts and tax. plus 75 for the darn tow which they paid to the driver.

would anyone like to take a stab on what you think the problem is? again, master cyl was not losing oil as far as i can tell. but i haven't been keeping an eye on the fluid but i will from now on. oil is above the minimum line.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like the slave cyl, which as you found out on a M5OD-R2 involves tranny removal. Not sure on a price as I've always done it myself.

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM
i messed up on the price. the tow IS included with the price of 140.00. shop is gonna allow me to make pmts on the labor. total will be around 230.00 Why do you think it's the slave cyl? the shop is bleeding the lines out and just hope for no other damage. what is a M50D-R2

Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The M5OD-R2 is the only model of a stick in your rig for '93. '92 was the last year of the T-19 four speed option.

Traditionally the slave fails before the master, but a master cylinder shouldn't take more than an hour to diagnose and replace, so I figured that was done by now.

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 AM
I c. thank you there sir Adrianspeed. you were right. after they installed the new clutch master, and bleeding the lines, the next day the mechanic told me the slave is leaking at the hub. gonna finish the job monday or tue. Is all i can say is i'm doomed. with an income of only 722.00 and below poverty I don't know how i'm gonna find myself out of this mess unless i can find myself some work. I went from a paid for brand new '04 f250 super crew fx4 lariat powered by the 6.0 injector nightmare which i traded away 2 yrs later. purchased a used great running '04 f150 super crew lariat in '09 and it ran flawless ever since. only a rear seal needed repairing in Nov. Instead of paying this truck off from what i owed 16k, i go pay cash for a new boat. I had to surrender my f150, just couldn't afford 463.00 per month anymore from the sub prime rip offlender and never did get to refinance after moving out of state. so, less than a month out of my great running newer ford i'm hit with this expense. All my fault, all because i bought a boat for stupid fish and ducks.

Last edited by grizzeyes; 03-26-2012 at 04:58 AM. Reason: lame as heck

Quick Reply: '93 clutch problems