Pre-1997 Models

Help tracking down E40D issues/ After searching

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help tracking down E40D issues/ After searching

Ok, so I know it's not an F150 however the Broncos are pretty much the same internals.

Stats
1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer with 180400 miles.
4in lift on 33x12.50 BFG AT
E40D - Not sure if it's the original or been rebuilt
5.0 with Bassani Headers and 3in exhaust

Here's the deal. I've owned this truck for about three years now and it will go into limp hard mode on occasion. When I was first driving it at 16(three years ago) it would do it quite often. As time went by it got progressively better, so I kinda put the issue on hold. When it was bad it would do it almost every time I drove it, and then other times when it wasn't acting up it would go 2-3 months with no problems. That being said, the erratic shifting patterns have really become quite an issue in the past six months or so. Being in college now reliability and form/function are essential.

Back in 2008-2009 Me and my dad did the following.
-Replaced the vss sensor with a motorcraft one
-Drained rear diff/new fluid and gasket
-Installed mlps (new style connector)
-Drained flushed tranny/transfer case, and put in new fresh fluid/ filter and added drain plug. (Very little sludge buildup at all and did not smell burnt)
-A full tune up was done( wires, cap , rotor) Known as sixlitre tuneup
-New Battery and associated wiring to starter and police grade wiring harness
-New starter
-New Tps sensor
-New IAC

Recently(within past year)
-Punisher valve body(street) was installed
-recently put in fresh fluid about 3 months ago
-Fuel pressure regulator
-Many new hoses on air pump system(Thermactor System) and new exhaust check valve

When it does go into limp mode it will sometimes do the whole limp thing really hard and other times it is much more subtle however I can tell immediatly what is going on being that I drive it everyday. I have been relucatant to take it to a shop because most will often just tell you you need a rebuild for 2-3k . I would hate to spend that kind of money and the problem just come right back. The speedo does not go haywire leading me to believe that my vss signal is good?? Also , no O/D light flashing

At this point I really am not sure where to turn. I am leaning towards a bad signal somewhere along the lines of abs/psom system. I say this because I recently pulled codes and recieved a 452 with KOEO. ( I own a nice code reader btw) I am going to test the abs module tomorrow. I pulled it off today and checked for loose/bad connections. It did seem a bit dirty so I sprayed it with diode electrical cleaner along with a few others that looked to be dirty. Drove it right after and straight back to limp mode.

Note- Just would like to add that when I did the ghetto abs test on a wet road today and slammed on the brakes, they did not pulsate like an abs system is supposed to. Just a thought. I have never felt the system actually work during operation.

I could really use some advice as to where to turn and what to check for. It goes into limp about everytime I drive it creating some serious reliability issues. My odometer reads 180400 at the moment. The last time I drained fluid I did not smell burnt fluid at all.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Patrick

Last edited by Selkirk; 03-11-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Selkirk, for what it's worth, the E4OD had some serious issues when it first came out, wich I believe was 1990. There's a solenoid pack inside the tranny that was going bad and trashing the unit after about I think 120000 miles. I'm too drunk and lazy right now to do the homework, but it might be a place to look. I learned that the hard way, my 1990 went out at about 60000 miles, and I had to have mine rebuilt. Not a pleasant experience, side of the road 300 miles from home, thank Goodness for AAA. Good luck to ya, Peace, Dave.

Quick Reply: Help tracking down E40D issues/ After searching