Pre-1997 Models

new to the forum

Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to the forum

hello im new to the forum. i just picked up a 1992 ford f150 4x4 with a straight 6. i got it from a rancher by my house for free. after putting in new fuel tank, pump, filter, and map sensor it runs fine. what are some cheap mods i can do that wont brake the banck. it is going to be an off road truck. it came with the overload springs on the rear and was wonedering if i should take them off and where do you install an aftermarket temp gauge?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
welcome

Old 02-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Welcome to the site! Sounds as if you have a truck that will be a lot of fun to play with.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:23 PM
The mounting of the aftermarket temperature gauge will depend if its electric or a capilliary type. An electric can be mounted almost anywhere while the other type usually mounts under the dash near the ash tray. I have seen several guys that mounted a gauge pod in place of the ashtray. If you go with an aftermarket oil pressure gauge use an electric, you don't want hot oil in your cab if the line breaks.
The best way to get the best mileage is to get everything up to tune and minimize friction. There are no magic spark plugs, CAI, or throttle spacers that give higher MPG.
Check the exhaust for restrictions. When I replaced my stock system on a 302 I enlarged it to 3", installed a free flow cat, muffler, and had it exit before the rear passenger wheel. Consider doing the "sixliter tune up" as described on the Bronco forums. Synthetics can reduce friction in the differntials, transmissions, and engine. Driving habits have the most influence on gas mileage, I use a dash mounted vacuum gauge to help. Its also a very good diagnostic tool.
Welcome to the forum and to Ford trucks
rikard

Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 PM
i had a 95 strait 6 2wd i off roaded the hell outa that thing n it was compleatly stock except for the muffler delete tube i put in and the tires. never got stuck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new to the forum