Pre-1997 Models

Hit a few big bumps (ice) and truck stalled....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit a few big bumps (ice) and truck stalled....

About five days ago I was heading into the gas station and rolled over a few big bumps of ice. Shook/jarred the truck a lot, and then it stalled out. Wouldn't start back up.

Switched from the back tank to the front, and started right up. Ran fine on that front tank for the next five days, until this morning.

This morning, it started up for about 5-7 seconds, then stalled out. Tried to start it back up a few times, and about half the time it would catch and run for a few seconds, but each time eventually stalling out.

Switched to the back tank, and as expected, didn't even catch -- Just turned over.

Is it REALLY possible -- well, I'm sure it's "possible" -- that both fuel pumps, after 16+ years, died within five days of each other? Or is there a more likely explanation? Would a sharp shake/jar of the truck cause the fuel pump(s) to die?

I checked out the fuel cutoff/inertia switch, and it doesn't look tripped. I would be able to push a button down if it were tripped, right?

This just seems odd, so I thought I would post here and see if anyone else has experienced similar, or had any thoughts.

1995 F-150, 4x4, 5.8L

Thanks in advance, all.

-Brandon

Old 02-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you hear either pump for that one second or so when you turn the ignition switch on? There are some Maxi fuses in that power box on the drivers side under the hood that I would check, the far back fuse in the middle row, and I think it's the second or third fuse back in the middle row. Both are 20 amp maxi fuses. I ran into this situation about 3 weeks ago with my '94 f-150 with a 351. Obviously your problem may be different.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
inertia switch?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by masseyman
Do you hear either pump for that one second or so when you turn the ignition switch on? There are some Maxi fuses in that power box on the drivers side under the hood that I would check, the far back fuse in the middle row, and I think it's the second or third fuse back in the middle row. Both are 20 amp maxi fuses. I ran into this situation about 3 weeks ago with my '94 f-150 with a 351. Obviously your problem may be different.
Thanks for your reply.

I don't hear either pump. I've checked the Maxi fuses, and they all look good (even switched a few of the 20A ones around). {sad face}

I just went out and tried again, and it again fired up for about 2-3 seconds. I even was able to rev it a bit, but then it stalled out.

What are the chances it's a frozen fuel line? I've never had that happen before, so I'm not sure what the symptoms would be. It was below freezing (probably around 20 F) overnight -- thought it was about 10 F the night before, and it started right up that morning.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
inertia switch?
Given that this all started just as I hit those bumps (that can't be a coincidence, I don't think), that's what I thought too. But it doesn't look tripped. The "button" seems to already be pushed down.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey Fish, I'm wondering if you maybe jarred something loose and plugged your fuel filter? Good luck, Peace, Dave.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Is the fuel pump relay coming on when turning the key? I would also check the inertia switch with a meter and the dash selector switch.
Regards
rikard

Quick Reply: Hit a few big bumps (ice) and truck stalled....