Pre-1997 Models

Oil/Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil/Oil Filter

Hey guys so I just got the Horse on sunday, 190,800 it hasn't had an oil change in about 5 years as it has only had about 2500 miles in that time, so doing an oil change is happening PDQ, so my question is, what is the best oil/oil filter for a 92 5.0 2WD 5spd?

Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 AM
just seeing how horrible my sig looks with the pic

Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Depends on how much money you want to spend and how often yer gonna drive it. If you think you'll put enough mileage on it that you'll need to change it again before winter, I'd put Rotella straight 30 in it. It's a dual rated oil and has an exceptional additive package that will help clean things up. Usually you can find it at NAPA. If the mileage isn't going to add up that quick, I'd suggest finding, if you can, G Oil in 5w-30. Walmart may be the best source of supply. G Oil is an ester based oil like Redline but has much, much more esters in the base oil. The add package is pretty much straight forward but esters have incredible solvency meaning it will naturally clean the engine. They have a coupon on their website for 6 qts-$10.00 off. It's a great deal actually. Be aware though that as it cleans up the ring packs it may start to use oil. Don't worry as you're only using this as a cleaning phase. Next time use any of the name branded 5w-20 High Mileage oils and it should be fine. I'm partial to the Pennzoil High Mileage oils due to the add package and the multiple base oils used. They really are as good as they advertise. I'd suggest a Motorcraft filter FL1a for it.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 AM
"Be aware though that as it cleans up the ring packs it may start to use oil. Don't worry as you're only using this as a cleaning phase."
I was planning on seafoaming it, doing my 60 mile round trip to work, the truck is going to get 300+ miles a week on her, and then changing the oil the next day. If I go that route do I still go through the cleaning oil phase?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:21 AM
And yer expecting a mix of 20 viscosity oil, naptha, and alcohol to do what? That's what's in seafoam. Never use anything with alcohol in the oil unless you are attempting clean a beater engine for rebuilding. It strips lubrication. Running this down the intake buys you nothing but an oily intake. The temps required to BURN carbon are so high that the engine would be a pile of melted scrap LONG before the carbon burned. So what do you expect the stuff to do?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 AM
so my question required that kind of statement in reply? a simple "I don't think seafoam does you any good" would have sufficed and not made you sound like a jack a$$

Old 07-05-2011, 11:36 AM
not to mention you are the first person I have heard say anything negative about the Seafoam product, I have never used it myself but have had it recommended to me several times, and seen lots of positive feed back on it on this forum multiple times

Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 AM
And for the cleaning phase of the oil changes do I run the Rotella or the G Oil for a standard 3000 miles?

Old 07-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd do a plain oil change with inexpensive oil, and look at what comes out. Either use a painter's filter funnel, or make one with a paper towel to catch any solids. If you get any, take the truck to a shop that uses BG products, and have them do an engine flush, then refill with better oil & a new filter.

I'd always use a good filter (MotorCraft, Wix, Wal-Mart; NOT Fram) and the oil weight recommended by Ford for that engine: in your climate at this time of year, either 10W40 or 20W50 (if you think the engine is heavily worn).

If you want to do an upper intake cleaning, let the same shop do it with the BG 3-part kit. But SOMEONE needs to change the coolant & brake fluid ASAP. I'd also seriously consider the diff oil, PSF, & trans fluid.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:24 PM
The post wasn't intended to make you look like an idiot. If you had searched this website you'll find loads of info on it. Cramming crap like this down the intake has caused many a cracked piston, cracked valves, and cratered many a catalytic converters. I've rebuilt several 302's after friends kid crammed this down the intake. I think of it as the poster boy for snake oil but that's me, a guy who works with this stuff all day....except on my days off.

If you're going to use the G Oil, I wouldn't run over 2500 miles. We're still in the testing phase of it and so far it has shown to be a fabulous cleaner but a worn engine that I personally own that we are using for a mule has shown oil usage about half way thru the test of 5000 miles. I haven't pulled it to get a complete report on it but it did really well from an oil usage perspective to 2500 miles.
The Rotella you can use for a 3500 mile OCI and more if you like. Your truck has the early stages of lean burn technology and OCIs at 5000 miles are easy on an oil like Rotella. The Ford EFI engines are a pretty clean engine and don't make the contaminants of old. The newer ones are going to be looking at 10,000 mile OCIs. This due to the engine technology as well as huge advances in motor oil formulations.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM
thanks guys, I have been pretty leery of the engine "cleaner" additives, I head some horror stories from my shop teacher in hs, and my dad as well, lucas is the only thing I have used recently, and I have used it very successfully in trannies, I am going to be changing all the fluids you mentioned, the trans was done about 80,000 miles ago. I really want this old girl to be around for a long time, I picked her up for a pittance(1000) and I love her already. She's my first ford truck, I had an explorer that i put on its top on freeway a few years ago but never the F150

Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
I will probably be doing the Rotella Oil Change, like I said I am going to be putting about 300 miles a week on her. I just got a look at the exhaust, straight 2"(I think) pipe back from the Cat.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Usmcbears
thanks guys, I have been pretty leery of the engine "cleaner" additives, I head some horror stories from my shop teacher in hs, and my dad as well, lucas is the only thing I have used recently, and I have used it very successfully in trannies, I am going to be changing all the fluids you mentioned, the trans was done about 80,000 miles ago. I really want this old girl to be around for a long time, I picked her up for a pittance(1000) and I love her already. She's my first ford truck, I had an explorer that i put on its top on freeway a few years ago but never the F150
$1000??? Damn your lucky!!!

Old 07-12-2011, 02:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Listen to Labnerd. He knows what he's talking about. And no, he's no the first to say seafoam is junk. Do a search.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 AM
All I would do is use a good quality oil like Pennzoil or Castrol probably a 10-30 grade (if you want use the high milege oil) and a good filter (no fram) run it about 1000 miles. Change oil again run it about 1500 miles, dump it. Then you should be good for 3000 mile intervals.............Stay away from additives and such, all you need is a good quality oil. Remember it is a high miler so keep your foot off the floor.

Quick Reply: Oil/Oil Filter