Pre-1997 Models

New Here. Need Diagnostic Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Here. Need Diagnostic Help!

Hey guys. The other forums have been less than helpful on this one, maybe you guys can lend a hand. The truck had not run for about a month until last week when I dropped the fuel tank to replace the pump/sending unit. I also replaced the fuel pump solenoid. The job went smoothly and it cranked up without hesitation. Drove it to work all week, but on friday it died. It had been tapping quite a bit when started cold, but after just minimal warming up, the tapping went away, so I wasnt too worried about that. The real problem happened after getting gas down the street from work. Leaving the gas station, the truck started and idled fine. I put it into drive and drove a couple hundred yards and there was some popping in the exhaust, then the engine shuddered down, losing power. It would just barely idle for a short while and then die. After a bit of hassle, I got it started again, but left it in park. It idled smoothly again and when given gas, it reved up easily and smooth, with a bit of light exhast pop when reving back down. Put it in drive and go. A few hundred yards later, same thing happened. Had to do this six or seven times to get it about a block and a half down the street back to work. Didnt have the resources (tools) to do much of any troubleshooting while there, so the only info I have is what you now know. Any ideas on a most likely culprit? My initial thoughts lean toward distributor, but like i said. I couldnt troubleshoot any further.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:21 PM
1986 F150 XLT Lariat.
302ci V8.
EFI.
AOD.
Stock.
Thought all this would show up in my signature line. Guess not.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You have to click on the sig option under each post.

Could it be some bad gas? Change the fuel filter and see what happens. On the ticking at startup, do you have the orange Fram oil filter?

Old 06-26-2011, 12:32 PM
All fresh gas. Like i said, it happened after getting gas and I just finished dropping the tank, which required draining the old gas. The fuel filter is also new. All new pumps, filters, and solenoid. The fuel system should be in tip-top shape, but im not ruling it out. No to the orange fram filter, i buy motorcraft.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
xxx

Last edited by Labnerd; 06-26-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Poster unable to understand english
Old 06-26-2011, 01:15 PM
I only ever get my gas from two locations that have never failed me. One is a QT and one is a 7-11. I trust these two major corporations to provide me with good gas. That being said, i suppose it is a small possibility of being the gas, but considering that it will rev up and down effortlessly while in park or neutral, i doubt it. The dizzy or perhaps a cracked spark wire would almost explain the tapping while cold, but not why it runs good while not moving, but bad otherwise. An OBD-1 scanner will do me no good on this truck as it has no plug in for scanners of any kind. It's too old for all that. But i can pull codes with about ten inches of wire and a test light, so im covered on that front. While it is not a sure thing, obviously, im willing to rule out the fuel and the fuel system at this point. There just aren't enough clues pointing that direction.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
xxx

Last edited by Labnerd; 06-26-2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Making Islandbouys mother happy
Old 06-26-2011, 01:43 PM
I dont need a reader to pull my codes. Done it plenty before. Thanks thought. As for the gas... You want me to what? Drain my tank and put in fresh gas? No thanks. There is no indication at all that it is the gas...None. Why the hell would i go to all that trouble because you say it's the gas? Obviously you don't know much. Anyone that has a more reasonable attitude want to chime in, or am i stuck with this guy?

Old 06-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by alhauger
I dont need a reader to pull my codes. Done it plenty before. Thanks thought. As for the gas... You want me to what? Drain my tank and put in fresh gas? No thanks. There is no indication at all that it is the gas...None. Why the hell would i go to all that trouble because you say it's the gas? Obviously you don't know much. Anyone that has a more reasonable attitude want to chime in, or am i stuck with this guy?
I can see why you have had difficulty getting help. You have gotten excellent advice. According to your post, the problem started after filling up with gas. He did not tell you to drain the tank, yet but to check the gas coning out of the line. You do not seem to comprehend suggestions, plus, Labnerd is one of the more respected members here as far as advice is concerned. Maybe you need to just take it to a mechanic. For sure, you need to calm down.

Last edited by Bluejay; 06-26-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:12 PM
It is easy to pull the gas. I'm not sure about 86, I know on an 88 there is a socket on the test plug that will tell the EEC to run the pump constantly. I probably don't need to say but, you should be aware of safety when handling fuel, sparks, flames and spillage are not good. If you find it, disconnect a pressure line and fill up some DOT approved gas cans. Then try some fresh. At the very least, you've eliminated a potential and have some extra fuel, and can now move on to the next. Pulling codes if present, running the traps on timing and spark. These guys on here will help you to the end.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Maybe I missed it, but did you replace the fuel filter when you did the other work? I would make sure the fuel is clean and that I had good pressure. Have a look at the FPR and change out the fuel filter if you haven't. I don't know if this would apply here. But back in the day when we wanted to know our alcohol purity, we would burn a spoonfull and see what was left. The leftover being water. If it's mechanical like the distributor, I dought you would get it to start and repeat the symptom. And a pip failure would most lilkely cause a no start. Did you check with the gas station? Bad fuel would mean more victims. Wouldn't be the first time someone bought a buggered pump or soleniod right off the shelf.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Just read the thread and am surprised with such a clear insult from one to the other. As I posted once before, this forum is for helping and learning. So check your egos at the home page, Please! None of us know everything even though we would like to think so. I would bet we all found this board because we needed help. I am a recent arrival here and like most, enjoy offering help more than getting it. So tell me please where insulting a person's intelligence for all to read is helpful to anyone? The response may of been well deserved, but serves nothing to solving your issue. Therefore defeating your reason for being here today, yes? If you knew the cause of your problem, you would be half way there to fixing it. As for my fellow forum member above, I respectfully request you edit your post to reflect the issue instead of your frustration. Like moma used to say; if you have nothing good to say, then don't say anything. I hope you both have a better day than how it started, and all the best to you.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I, for one, am NOT one of the most respected members here, but when guys like Labnerd and such answer my posts I feel honored that they are taking time to respond to my questions. I have learned alot from people like him on this forum.

I would suggest you re-read what he suggested to do and go from there. We all understand your frustration.

On the fuel issue, the local Sam's club here had a delivery guy dump diesel into the gas tanks, mistakes happen. So with a little detective work you can either nail down or eliminate the fuel as an issue.

Just my $0.02

Good luck!

Quick Reply: New Here. Need Diagnostic Help!