Pre-1997 Models

where to find a bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to find a bushing?

I need the bushing for the rear hanger.

The hanger to shackle bushing. NOT THE SHACKLE TO LEAF BUSHING.

Where can I find the hanger to shackle bushing? My stock seems to be just a bushing w/ an inner metal sleeve. Well all I can find are the metal outer and inner sleeves w/ bushing between.

I may be crazy but my other side is the same. Just a bushing and inner sleeve...no outer metal sleeve.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:11 PM
If I'm thinking correctly (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm not) I think from the factory there is no outer sleeve but the replacement ones have one to give you something solid to press it in with. Not sure but that would be my guess.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by stewy 39
If I'm thinking correctly (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm not) I think from the factory there is no outer sleeve but the replacement ones have one to give you something solid to press it in with. Not sure but that would be my guess.
well that would explain my problem then. Thank you for the quick reply

Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Don't thank me til you know the reply was correct. Then I'm a genius!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford produced 2 styles of bushing, and a shackle to go with each: those w/o the outer sleeve, and those with. Make sure you get the replacement bushing that matches your shackle. It's commonly called the "shackle bushing", as opposed to the "leaf spring bushings", but they usually come in a set to do all the leaf spring/shackle bushings at once. So the sets are differentiated by the shackle bushing type, and by spring width. I prefer Energy Polyurethane, but regular rubber is OK. Any parts store should be able to get you a set, or any online truck parts supplier (LMC, JBG...) or most online parts suppliers (RockAuto, TeamFordParts...), or any Energy Suspension dealer. Read this & the NEXT few:

Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Steve 83: thats a good little piece of information there. Thank you. I searched and searched and figured I'd make a thread specifically about the different bushings and hoping some answers would chime in. Not just for me but for future services.

I got it done and back out on the road last night. It definitly feels more substantial in the bumps than the rusted out hanger. No more hard banging noises or feeling. I might not have done it with the right bushing but it's done. I actually split the outer sleeve and separated it. So it's just like a factory bushing now w/o an outer sleeve. I will say that the bushing was still very very difficult to get in but not impossible like it was w/ the outer sleeve.

Quick Reply: where to find a bushing?