Pre-1997 Models

New Member. 1st post.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member. 1st post.

Good morning everyone, first of all I apologize if this is not the right place to post this. If not, please let me know and I will repost in the proper place. I have inherited my Dad's 1991 Ford F150 XLT Lariet. The truck has not been ran much in the last 2 years since my Dad passed away. I replaced the battery and tried to start it. It will turn over and fire but will not start. I did squirt fast starting fluid in and it will start for just a second but will not continue to run. When you cut the switch on you cannot hear the fuel pump run. It has dual tanks and the front tank has not been used. Normally you can hear the rear fuel pump run when the switch is first turned on. I am not a mechanic so I am thinking it is the fuel pump so I am going to drop the rear tank and clean the tank and replace the fuel pump. Which creates my question - does anyone have a step-by-step guide for taking the fuel tank off? Like I said I am not a mechanic but I think with instructions I could take the tank off and replace the fuel pump. Any hep would be appreciated.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome. Sorry to hear of your loss, but it helped me to keep Dad's trucks goin'.

First check the fuel pump relay for power in and out, then the fuel pump cut off switch on the firewall above the brake pedal area.

A haynes manual goes into great detail on troubleshooting the fuel system.

Personally, to do a tank, or certainly both, I find it easier and less work overall to pull the bed. Just a few rusty bolts to start sprayin' and unhook the tail light harness at the frame. Even a long box can be hossed off with two people, but more makes it easier.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: New Member. 1st post.