Pre-1997 Models

1989 5.0 Code 87 Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 5.0 Code 87 Help

I put this in the V8 engine thread and maybe shoud have put it here instead so here it is.

1989 5.0 Code 87 Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just picked up a 1989 F150 to restore and use. The previous owner couldn't seem to make it run anymore. It did run sort of but very poorly and no power. I found the wrong EEC in it and the HP fuel pump "hot wired". I replaced the EEC with a correct reman one and reconnected all the pump wiring. Now a get a code 87 on the scanner. I have found that it seems that the EEC is not grounding the relay circuit. What I need to find is someone or some site that will tell me what the computer is looking for on the "key on" before grounding the FP relay to let the HP pump get power. Anyone have any ideas or help? The only thing I can think of is maybe the fuel pressure regualtor? Seems that when they tell you what the code means they would also tell you how and what to check to fix it. LOL

Any help would really be appreciated

Thanks,

debreke

Old 04-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For each code, there's a LONG list of diagnostic steps, and they vary significantly by vehicle, which is why the code never includes "what to do".

But I don't remember what every code means, so post the FULL definition. There are plenty of sites that list them, including this caption & the thread linked in it:

For the FP relay: the EEC grounds that trigger circuit when it sees the engine (PIP) spinning more than ~100 RPM, and for ~1 sec after key-on. The FPR is a strictly mechanical device - the EEC never has any idea how much fuel pressure there is. But that diagram also indicates how to force the relay to stay on with the key.

Quick Reply: 1989 5.0 Code 87 Help