Pre-1997 Models

fuel gauge drop / timing correct ? 95 5.8

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel gauge drop / timing correct ? 95 5.8

I can watch the fuel gauge drop on a 15 mile trip to work . I replaced the intake gaskets that caused a hell of an oil leak as well as an air leak and thought that may help . It didn't . The fuel as always been a problem and now I am wondering if I am timing this right .
I time it with the gray spout plug removed . The stock timing tab is fairly wide . The sticker says 10* so I am using the right straight edge of the tab ( facing the engine from the front ) to time from . Is this correct ?

Thanks for your help

Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on the way home from work I started with the gauge just to the right of 1/2 a tank . 15 miles later it is exactly between 1/4 and 1/2 .
cap , rotor , plug wires have less than 5,000 miles . I am wondering if I have the timing on the right part of the tab or do I possibly have it a couple of degress to far advanced ?

Old 03-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The gauge is just a gauge - not a meter. The needle movement is NOT proportional to the tank level. Fill (at least) one tank, reset the trip odometer or record the regular odometer on the receipt, drive (preferrably a LOT) ONLY on the filled tank, refill the tank, and divide the 2nd fuel quantity into the elapsed miles = Mile Per Gallon.

Yes, that's how the timing is read.

Read this & follow the links in its caption:

Quick Reply: fuel gauge drop / timing correct ? 95 5.8