Pre-1997 Models

1986 Bronco 5.0L Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Bronco 5.0L Rebuild

Alright, taxes are done which means the Bronco has been drug out of it's grave and is going to start to be taken apart for the rebuild it needs. I do however, have some questions about the two options I have come up with at present.

Option 1:
http://info.rockauto.com/SealedPower/MKP260A.html
It comes with just about everything. It has pistons, rings, bearings, cams, lifters, oil pump, timing set and so on. I can get this for just a tad over $500 locally. I'm assuming that they are also going to be able to order any oversizes I'll need. If not, it's going to cost me about $616 to get it shipped to me from RockAuto.

Option 2:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-MKP260A-000/
This is the same kit, same part number, but doesn't come with the cam and lifter kit in it? I don't know either. It is only about $283 however. Since it does not have a cam in it, I would obviously have to buy one. I have heard it mentioned a few times about a "RV" cam for a bit more power and mileage? Is this something that I may want to look into? Will it create problems since it is a speed-density system? I would not mind having some more low-end power in it, along with the added bonus a some MPGs (<--- not why I'd get it, but it would be a nice after-effect). Obviously, I'd still need to get new lifters as well, but what about springs? Would direct factory replacement ones work?

EDIT: RV-style cams? I looked around a bit online and found specs close to these being described as an "RV-style" cam? Yeah? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K30032/

I'm still searching around for options and opinions as I haven't even began to take anything off of the engine, let alone remove it and tear it down to find out what sizes I need for everything. Any other suggestions about worthwhile engine upgrades are welcome. I do not plan on upgrading anything that does not need it; i.e. - no "just because" upgrades; i.e.- I'm not buying new heads for better flow or an MSD ignition system and so on...

Thanks guys!

Last edited by roushstage2; 02-03-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 PM
www.enginekits.com will probably have better prices if you go with option 2

Old 02-05-2010, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the link! I will check it out!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 PM
no problem

Quick Reply: 1986 Bronco 5.0L Rebuild