Pre-1997 Models

1993 5.0 wont run under acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 5.0 wont run under acceleration.

I have a 1993 f150 4x4 automatic with a 302. When i bought the truck it ran decent just needed a tune up. So following the tune up i started to drive it an it will idle decent an move under acceleration until things start to warm up. It acts like its running out of fuel an backfires through the intake an i dont have a fuel pressure tester nor a obd 1 tester. i've done everything to my mechanical knowledge but dont really have the tools to work on feul injected vehicles. If anyone might no what the problem is your answers would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

List of things done during tuneup.
1.cap rotor an coil.
2.new fuel filter an dropped the tank which had sand an other debris in it cleaned now wih fresh gas.
3.replaced a few bad vacuum lines.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 PM
sounds like lack of fuel, you should have around 30#'s of pressure to run it properly. If you can hook up a gauge to the intake to check pressure get a reading .There is a schrader valve to check it.also check the coil.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 PM
thanks dyno i messed with it this afternoon an there was no feul at the rail so i started listening for the pump an it barely kicks on compared to before so i hope its the pump i had a pump go bad on my previous truck an it an it had the same issues it just happened alot faster an it was kinda confusing to me now because backfiring in the intake is usually timing but i forgot if it ran lean that would also make it happen. thanks for ur advise though i greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Last time I had a problem similar to this, I had a plugged catalytic converter. I chased fuel problems for awhile. I exhausted all my possibilities with no luck. Finally went to the muffler shop (on advice from another old timer), asked them if they could disconnect the cat. They did, and the problem went away imediately. Had them replace the cat and no more problems.
Good luck.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Mike you will probly find it easier to pull the bed rather then dropping the tank(if there is more than 5 gallons in it),thats how it did it and was a dream to change the pump. Hammer,and the special tools to pull the lines off of the fuel lines, also be carefull taking out the old pump (if you get the pump only to save money) you will reuse some of the stuff you pull out,(float,float switch, prefilter and top half of unit.Have fun.....

Quick Reply: 1993 5.0 wont run under acceleration.