Pre-1997 Models

Aftermarket Guages

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Guages

I'm looking for some decent aftermarket gauges for my 84' to take over for the non-working/inaccurate ones currently in the dash. Looking to get a volt gauge, coolant temp, and oil pressure. Don't really want to spend more then 100$ for the three. I bought a couple of cheap summit ones a while ago but couldn't find a thread adapter to make the temp gauge fit the stock unit's hole (anybody know what size the stock hole is??), and the oil pressure gauge was mechanical so I definitely didn't want to run an oil line in my cab.
Analog works fine for me, I just want the temp/pressure gauges that I can preferably put in the stock unit's location with/without whatever adapters needed and not have to run any fluids into the cab.
Sunpro, autometer, summit, etc... anybody using anything specific that they can shed some light on and how to fit it? Thanks

Old 01-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's cheaper, quicker, better-looking, & just as accurate to fix your original gauges. The oil & temp gauges each have only 1 wire from the gauge to the sender (R/W temp; W/R oil) so trace & repair them. A common failure is corrosion on the cluster film circuit contacts. Use brown paper or a pink eraser to polish them clean.

The original AMP gauge is useless, and it's easy to swap in a volt gauge.

. .

Old 01-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True.. maybe I'll just get a new temp and pressure sender and see if that does the trick. If not i'll pull the cluster out. My oil pressure gauge always always stays about a quarter of an inch from the low mark and my coolant temp randomly fluctuates so I don't trust that at all unless its on the C or H.
I'll find a decent volt gauge and find a spot to put it... was thinking of a small tach as well just so I know where it's running at even though its a C6

Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Put the tach in the tach location in the cluster. Put the volt gauge in place of the amp gauge (which is useless anyway), like those pics in my previous post show.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Guages