Pre-1997 Models

Going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going crazy

I have a 95 F-150, 5.0, automatic, 4wd, with 87,000 miles.

I can drive the truck around town all day with out a single problem in the world runs strong drives great. As soon as i take it for a run down the highway for an extended period of time I get a CEL and if you keep driving the truck the oxygen sensor will eventually fail and the truck will hesitate and lack power idle really rough and have a fuel smell to it. The only way I have been able to get it to run right is by throwing in a new oxygen sensor and it runs like a champ.

I have noticed that if I pull off the highway and drive the truck like I stole it around town the hesitation will go away until I drive the truck on the highway.

I have only been able to do fuel milage once since I have only had the truck about a month and I am only getting about 12.

So what should I check the would keep causing my oxygen sensor to give false readings after being driven down the highway?

here is a link to the code i am getting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrvzA...e=channel_page

Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Codes don't mean that anything has failed, and swapping parts that are mentioned in code definitions is no way to fix anything. Read the WHOLE code definition - don't just pick out part names. Then diagnose it logically: does the condition reported by the code actually exist at the EEC terminals? Is it caused by a wiring fault? Is it caused by a sensor fault? Or is the sensor accurately reporting an abnormal operating condition? If so, why does that condition exist?

Old 05-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Need to monitor the fuel pressure while driving. Hook up a gauge with a long hose and tape it to the windshield where you can see it. Make sure not to pinch the hose with the hood. Put larger pieces of hose on each side of the fuel gauge hose when shutting the hood. Normal press is bet 35-45 psi. Possibly could have a fuel press regulator sticking causing high fuel pressure. The oxygen sensor is collateral damage.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 PM
I know on my 92 the CEL was coming on.. I was getting a hesitation out of it.. Sometimes i just pull the idel air control valve off and clean it real good and it stops.. Also your EGR Valve could also cause your CEL to come on also.. Sometimes u can unplug them and u could be able to hear the diff. in the running.. On my truck if u unplug the EGR Valve u can not hear the diff. in how it runs but on a buddy of mine trucks u can tell the diff. in how his run with it plug and unplug.. His truck is a manual..

Quick Reply: Going crazy