Pre-1997 Models

Trying to use codes to find bad sensor throwing numerous codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to use codes to find bad sensor throwing numerous codes

Im new to this forum and I need some help troubleshooting what direction the codes are pointing me in(its a 96xlt extcab 4x4(elect shift) 5.8 with e4od tranny). I will go ahead and apoligize for the long write up but Ive been trying to work out these bugs for 3-4 weeks now. The passenger side of the truck was almost totally submerged in a deep pond after loosing it on a steep sand hill and it was running when it went in. After I got a friend to ****** it out, I pulled the plugs, threw the air filter away and dried out the distributor. After I pulled the plugs I cranked it until it pumped all the water out. I had to crank to get it out of the sand mine since there wasnt a 4x4 around that could pull it up the steep cliffs. Anyway, it did crank but it was stuck in 4low so I drove it home 3 miles away. I changed all fluids and filters(then let it dry out for a week) and I had to take the transfer case motor off and manually put it back into 2wd. When I crank it up it seems to idle fine and run okay except bad gas mileage and it studders at low rpms as it accelerating but it has plenty of power when its opened up. The speedo goes to 20 mph after its cranked and works normal after getting over 20. Ive replaced the vss in the rear differential and it hasnt helped. It will go into 4high but not 4low and Im guessing thats because of the speedo not reading correctly. I think the codes are pointing to the mass air sensor for the studdering issues but I dont have a clue about the speedo and 4lo engagement. The codes are:

p0153-02 ckt slow response(bnk2sensor1)
p1150-lack of upstream heated oxygen sensor switch-adaptive fuel limit-bank no.2
p0133pd-02 ckt slow response(bank1sensor1)
p0401pd-EGR flow insufficient
p1130pd-lack of upstream heated oxygen sensor switch-adaptive fuel limit-bank no.1
p1131pd-lack of upstream heated oxygen sensor switch-sensor indicates lean-bank no.1
p1152pd-lack of upstream heated oxygen sensor switch-sensor indicates rich-bank no.2

I know its long but If you can help please do. These sensors aint cheap as you all know just to replace parts that dont need replacing. Thank you for any help.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Ok, the 401 is the egr sensor. I think the 96 had a DPFE. From the other codes, it would appear that you have two faulty oxygen sensors. Taking into account that you have no vacuum leaks anywhere! If this all happened after your swimming trip, I would look underneath real good to make sure all the wiring is where it is supposed to be. Even unplug the sensors and dry them out. Shouldn't have shorted out the pcm because all it does is send ground signals to all the sensors. However, check all the fuses. If all checks out, I would replace both O2 sensors. As for the 4x4, that could be fuses also, or water intrusion. Unplug all the connectors on the transmission/transfer case and dry them out.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Before replacing any sensors, test them according to a published service manual: if not Ford, I recommend Haynes. Ford disks can be found all over the net, or you can e-mail me about one.

For the speedo, read this caption & test yours.

For the t-case, read this one:

Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Thank you both for the reply. And Steve83 I appreciate the captions, they have already helped me understand alot more of what could be going on. I have a Haynes manual but its not much help at all in the schematic area for the electronic shift on the fly and understanding how it actually works. Thanks again and I will keep yall posted.

Quick Reply: Trying to use codes to find bad sensor throwing numerous codes