Pre-1997 Models

Check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light?

hello, everybody been a while since 've wrote but fords don't break that often, lol ok, so here is my problem i have a 94 F-150 5.8L 4x4 ext. cab short box i was driving around one wet day and my check engine light came on! the truck was running the same as ever so i figure it might be some sort of sensor my question is how do you check the codes on this truck is there a obd I or obd II port or is it a blink code and if so how do you activate the code readout? this way i can have a idea of what's going on!

Old 03-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is EEC IV (OBD I). The self test connector is located between the air filter and brake booster. To retrieve codes, find the gray pigtail next to the triangular shaped self test connector and ground it. Turn the key on and count the check engine light flashes. It will flash quickly, then you will hear clicking and such under the hood. The codes are three digit and will come up, then repeat. Then you will get one flash, then memory codes. The flash is a separator code. After all codes are displayed, they will all repeat one time. Again, the first codes are hard faults, next a one flash separator code, and then memory codes. A code 111 will appear if it passes with no hard faults.

Quick Reply: Check engine light?