Pre-1997 Models

1995 F150 tranny help

Old 02-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 F150 tranny help

My 1995 F-150 just started having some transmission issues. When I shift from Park to Reverse, there is a delay. At times, it will not go into reverse until I hit the gas pedal, then it bangs into gear.

During slow acceleration, there is no noticable slip. During heavier acceleration, the transmission slips.

The fluid is full and does not have a burnt odor.

Is this an easy (and inexpensive) fix or is the tranny spent? Vehicle info is below:

1995 Ford F-150 XLT
5.0 liter
2WD
Transmission code U (4R70W)
144,000 miles

Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Most of the time, delayed reverse engagement is from low fluid level. This may be dumb, but you are checking it with the engine at operating temp and the trans in park, right? You will get false readings if not. Also, have the codes pulled and see if there's anything for the trans. Could be faulty valve body, or internal trans clutch issues. That trans flashes the O/D light on the shifter handle to alert for codes.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM
The fluid was checked with the engine hot and in park. The O/D light is not flashing.

When I first noticed the slipping and delayed reverse engagement, both seemed to occur AFTER the truck had been running on the highway. In other words, the more time it ran, the more the problems were noticed. They do not present themselves immediately.

I did just notice that there is a "grinding" sound noticable when moving slowly. I thought it may have been the rear brakes hanging up a bit (I had used the emergency brake for the first time in awhile). But the noise goes away when I roll the truck in neutral.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM
It sounds like you have low oil pressure.

This could be from a:
1. Bad electronic pressure control (EPC) solenoid or its wiring.
2. Bad pump.
3. bad seals.

You need to have a pressure gauge put on it and checked out.
The more you drive it the more it will cost to repair it.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 AM
The truck is my third vehicle and I haven't driven it on the road since the issues began because of the fear of making the problem worse.

Thanks for your repsonse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 F150 tranny help