Pre-1997 Models

Window switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Window switch

1995 F150 xlt with power windows,

They were working last night, and then my door got slamed hard. Now when you push the switch the windows dont move at all. My locks and power mirrors work fine. I cant check and see if the passenger side switch works because it never has. But what could have happened to it, it has always worked fine, and what do i do to fix it?

Old 01-10-2009, 04:08 PM
I guess start with the simplest. Check the p/w fuse.

If that's fine, you have to pop your door panel off. There's a couple screws around the perimeter(one in the grip well, usually covered in dirt/crap), and a couple of those plastic push-in fasteners. Once you get all those loose, you have to finagle it off the door handle. There's a harness connector to the control panel, and one for the speaker. Identify which terminal on the harness went to the window rocker switch. Turn the key on and test for power at any of the terminals. If there's power, then test the switch in the door panel using an ohm meter to see if power is getting through. If that's all good, then the big slam could have screwed up the motor somehow, though that's rather unlikely.

When you press the switch, does the motor "click" but the window doesn't move, or does absolutely nothing happen? If you get a slight click from the motor, all the wiring is fine but the slam broke something in the mechanism and jammed the glass. Check the tracks for the glass, check the drive mechanism, ect. See if anything is loose or broken that could jam the glass.

If it seems the motor is dead, you'll have to get it out, and that's not very fun, it's buried in there.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:25 PM
try really simple stuff first...take the small unit that the switch is in out (1 screw on top) then work the switch out...just look at it, you'll see how it's in there... don't force. clean the contacts w/fine sand paper and/or contact cleaner(available at Radio Shack)...I'll bet that fixes it

Old 01-11-2009, 06:45 PM
well, both sides dont work, but when you push the switch nothing happens at all, i think i am going to try and take the switches out first. We cn go farther from there, but i like the simplest first idea.

Quick Reply: Window switch