Pre-1997 Models

Chipped pre-97s

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2000, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Chipped pre-97s

How many of you are using the SuperChip? I've been considering one and I've heard nothing but good things. With gas prices what they are the extra gas money doesn't thrill me but that's the breaks I guess. What kind of mileage increases did anyone get? I've seen some posts that lead me to believe that you almost break even dollar for dollar. I'd like to hear some first hand feedback from some pre-97 owners.
Thanks.........

Old 07-07-2000, 09:19 AM
signmaster: Hey. I've got a Superchip in my truck (see sig). I love it. The chip is worth the price alone for the shifts. It really firms it up... makes it shift nicer during everyday driving, and at WOT. The power increase is very noticeable too.

The debate on gas cost/mileage is valid for both sides. What I have found, is that by running premium, and keeping your foot completely out of it, your gas mileage is about the same, maybe a tad better. You *have* to keep your foot out of it though, which is *very* hard to do. If you go around stomping on it all the time, of course your mileage will drop.

So for the first month or so, while you're enjoying that chip, the mileage probably will suffer. Start driving smoother, and less aggressive and your mileage will probably come on up.

Bottom line... very good investment... and very good support for future *major* mods.

BTW: Where in VA Beach are you? I'm going down tomorrow to visit some friends in the First Colonial Rd. area, off of Laskin. If you're close maybe you can check the truck out if you'd like.

------------------
1995 F-150 Regular Cab Flareside w/ 302 V8... Mods: Mass Air, K&N FIPK, Dual Exhaust (no mufflers), Lund Premier Tonneau Cover, Motorsports 9mm Plug Wires, full JL/Kicker/Pioneer system, Autometer 5" tach, Superchip, Precision Gear 3.73s, TD Chrome Diff Cover

Best 1/8th ET: 10.4107 @ 65.9587 MPH

The F-150 Resource Guide

The F-150 Resource Guide-- a site dedicated to 1987 through 1996 F-series trucks.

Old 07-07-2000, 11:09 AM
Cool

hey if you havr time stop by the Burger KIng on Great Neck road ill be working there after 5:00 till close ill be the manager so ill give yall some free food just a thought
jimmy

------------------
1996 F-150 EB edition 4x4 302, 3" body lift, 33s BFG All Terrain K&N air filter Viper 550 remote start with window mods (makes windows go up and down from remote) Alpine 3 disck in-dash cd player Infinity Kappa 5x7's in back and 5" mids with tweeters in front, PPI 6600 amp And of course a F-150 Online Sticker on camper shell

future mods: airaid and superchip

www.zing.com/album/?id=4294576377

[This message has been edited by 964x4 (edited 07-07-2000).]

Old 07-07-2000, 05:35 PM
Hey Jimmy... I sure will try. Thanks for the invite :-)

------------------
1995 F-150 Regular Cab Flareside w/ 302 V8... Mods: Mass Air, K&N FIPK, Dual Exhaust (no mufflers), Lund Premier Tonneau Cover, Motorsports 9mm Plug Wires, full JL/Kicker/Pioneer system, Autometer 5" tach, Superchip, Precision Gear 3.73s, TD Chrome Diff Cover

Best 1/8th ET: 10.4107 @ 65.9587 MPH

The F-150 Resource Guide

The F-150 Resource Guide-- a site dedicated to 1987 through 1996 F-series trucks.

Old 07-08-2000, 12:58 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Signmaster,

Just to give you an idea of what gets reported back to us from F-150 owners here, most people are seeing about 1.5 to as much as 2.0 more mpg overall with the Superchip.

Whether you'll "break even" or not on fuel costs depends on just how much of a price delta there is in your area between regular and premium gas, primarily. Here where we are in Virginia, out in the mountains, the price delta between regular and premium runs 9-11 cents per gallon, so we are actually spending less money for gas with our Superchips; but I wouldn't expect to get that kind of result, as that is about the best case scenario, I would say.

To give you an idea of worst case scenario, if you got absolutely no mileage increase and don't drive more than 20,000 miles a year, your increased fuel costs won't be more than about $150 a year or so, a few bucks a week. It's usually less than that, simply because most people do see a mileage improvement.

The exact mechanism of the increased mileage is the increased spark advance used on part-throttle in the Superchip. This was not done specifcally for mileage, but for performance, so the mileage improvment is a by-product.

Just FYI,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Info:https://www.f150online.com/rally2000/index.html

Old 07-13-2000, 12:15 AM
Cool

Thanks for the scoop and the chance to check out your truck Jason. Jimmy thanks for the food offer. I really need to check the board out more often..... I missed out on a chance to check the chip out in an almost identical truck, and free food on top of it! That's what I get for not logging on more often.
As usual, Mike T. came through with some great info.... but what's up Mike...no fries with those facts?....
Thanks again everyone...

Old 07-13-2000, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Signmaster,

Sure, we'll be happy to buy you some fries at the Rally!

I assume since you're right there in Virginia Beach that we'll be seeing you?

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Info:https://www.f150online.com/rally2000/index.html

Quick Reply: Chipped pre-97s