Pre-1997 Models

4.9 exhaust mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2000, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.9 exhaust mods

Does anyone out there know a good exhaust system for an inline 6? What sounds the best? Any info. will be apprecitated.

Old 01-09-2000, 11:29 AM
Gibson-Most any exhuast system will work on a 300 as for any other engine. You didn't say exactly what your looking for, headers, hi-flo cat, mufflers, duals, I would suggest that a 3" NOT be a choice. It causes NOT ENOUGH back pressure, eventually causing the truck to suck a valve.

Old 01-09-2000, 08:03 PM
On my 93 I had a 2.5 inch cat-back and a magnaflow muffler. Wasnt real loud but did give it a throaty tone. Seat of the pants feel was that it gave better acceleration but no mileage gains. I agree with pastmaster, no 3" unless your willing to change cams and other stuff. I also used Jacobs plug wires and a k&n filter. these made a difference too!!!

------------------
97 F-250HD,PSD,reg cab,XL,4.10LS

Old 01-10-2000, 01:32 AM
Talking

Thanks for the replies. I just want a new muffler. I currently have a K@N filter and a cheap midas muffler with dual outlets with big chrome tips out the back. I mainly have it for looks, but it gives a little louder sound than factory.
Alot of people on this message board put flowmasters on their trucks. I'm thinking of getting rid of the old exhaust and putting on a sigle outlet flowmaster with a borla tip behind the back tire. Any comments on that? Thanks.

Old 01-10-2000, 10:53 AM
I put a straight pipe(straight pipe in place of muffler) on mine and it sounds pretty good I think. It has a nice throaty sound.

------------------
1994 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0L, K&N, Superchip, 63mm T-body

Old 01-10-2000, 02:09 PM
Well, if your pipes are in good shape, save yourself some money and just replace the muffler.

Of course, you can do the single, put don't get the 3".

Old 01-15-2000, 07:32 PM
Banned
Who told you that load of nonsense about the 3 incher? With the Gibson swept side you GAIN low end torque and no valves are sucked.

------------------
'98 F150 XL Regular Cab, LWB, 4.2L V6, 5 Spd, 3.55 LS, Rhino Lining, factory heavy duty suspension, 3" Gibson Swept Side Cat Back, K&N filter, Oxford White minus the two tone garbage. BIG TIME FoMoCo p/u fan, not some fair weather hammerhead.

Old 01-16-2000, 01:13 PM
I got my information from www.ford-trucks.com . They have had several people asking this question on several 300's. I am also a member of there too.

posted: If possible in your area get true Dual exaust run off the headers but only 2.25" any Bigger and you won't get the back pressure required.

Other people have posted aswell. I'll got back later this afternoon and look and repost.

Old 01-16-2000, 01:55 PM
Banned
I would have to say their information is INCORRECT! Gibson's dynos, as well as those done by Clifford Inline and Hot Rod magazine, who KNOW a thing or two about engines, CLEARLY indicate a low end GAIN in torque with the addition of a SINGLE 3 inch cat-back system. You just mentioned dual exhaust, in which case, anything larger than 2 1/2 inch pipes will cause a loss of low end torque, but a gain at the upper end of the rpm band. Dual exhaust and a cat-back system are NOT the same item! Borla makes a 3 inch SINGLE CAT-BACK as well. When coupled with the PROPER muffler, a 3 inch exhaust pipe will most certainly offer a low end GAIN on a six cylinder engine! The proper muffler is important here, as it acts as an orifice to regulate the volume and rate of flow through the pipe (this will give you your correct back pressure). I doubt if any of the "experts" at ford-trucks has ever put their vehicle on a dyno and are merely speculating. Sometime last year, cujet, a member of this board, measured the flow rate of a Gibson swept side muffler and found it offered much less back pressure if it was installed backwards of Gibson's instructions (he chose to install it this way). Recently, he was complaining his swept side system didn't gain him any power. Again, I would say, the armchair theorists of ford-trucks, are FULL OF CRAP!

------------------
'98 F150 XL Regular Cab, LWB, 4.2L V6, 5 Spd, 3.55 LS, Rhino Lining, factory heavy duty suspension, 3" Gibson Swept Side Cat Back, K&N filter, Oxford White minus the two tone garbage. BIG TIME FoMoCo p/u fan, not some fair weather hammerhead.

Old 01-16-2000, 02:41 PM
Banned
I just got done looking at ford-trucks, and I looked through ALL sixteen pages of topics related to 80-96 Ford pickups, and countless others for the 61-79 pickups, and the ONLY derisive or derogatory comment related to a SINGLE 3 INCH EXHAUST, was by FISHMASTER! HARDLY CONVINCING OR AUTHORITATIVE!

------------------

Old 01-16-2000, 03:52 PM
I wanted to go with the 3" but a machanic friend and the exhaust shop who installed the 2.5 inch said dont do it unless you want to change the cam, timing, etc. It can be done, just depends on how much you want to spend!!! I trust the machanic since he use to build racing motors for top fuel drag racing (owned his own car). my .02 cents.

Never said I was an expert, just relaying my experiences.

[This message has been edited by fishmaster (edited 01-16-2000).]

Old 01-16-2000, 04:02 PM
Banned
Again, I would refer back to an earlier statement to only couple the 3 inch pipe with a muffler designed for the application, otherwise your back pressure will be reduced too much. Gibson, Borla, and Edelbrock ALL offer single 3 inch cat-backs designed to increase low end torque. Pastmater made mention of 3 inch dual exhaust; IT IS NOT THE SAME! These systems have been dyno'd and proven, most of the problems occur when someone omits or revises the instructions to their liking or replaces a component. Remember, the muffler acts as an orifice and regulates the volume, velocity, and pressure of the exhaust.

------------------

Old 01-16-2000, 07:27 PM
Okay, I DID find out somethings. Check this page out if you haven't already. www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/80_96/126.html

Quote from page:"They said using the larger diameter pipe 2.5" and up would also cause more loss."

I may be wrong about the 3" system. Again, I don't have a 300, and am just stating what I have heard before. I may be wrong about this. But, I have heard this statement before. I just can't find it now. In fact, I am beginning to believe I am/was wrong now, that I look.

I have posted a question on their board. Let's see what they say(again). If I am wrong, I am wrong!

Old 01-16-2000, 08:03 PM
Banned
From what I'm reading there, the question was about a DUAL exhaust or cat-back with a pipe diameter larger than 2 1/2 inches. All of the dual outlet cat-backs and exhaust systems offered by Gibson, and the like, are 2 1/2 inches. Note, none of the posters have offered any facts, or whatever, to support their claims. Gibson, Borla, Edelbrock, K&N, and Clifford all offer dyno results to back up their sales pitch. Obviously, they're done under ideal conditions, but I would doubt their systems will hinder or hobble an engine.

------------------

Quick Reply: 4.9 exhaust mods