Pre-1997 Models

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting problems

have a 90 f150 with the 5.0L 302. I installed a new distributor mounted module and to make a long story short, the engine wont start (not the new module) had it running for a couple minutes to set the timing and now nothing. put the old one back in and still nothing. I had to pull the dist. to remove this and do the new install, and I marked the rotor in relationship to the dist. housing. and I marked the housing and the engine block. I believe I installed it correctly (2nd time for this same job). also I have a remote starter to bump the engine, does anyone know how to hook this up? most directions are vague.

thanks guys

Old 07-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Connect the two wires from the remote starter to the two battery cable posts on the relay mounted on the passenger side fender.

As far as not starting, did you forget to tighten down the distributor? There is no reason it would run fine one minute and not start the next. Does it have spark? Have you verified your marks? Have you tried rotating the distributor while trying to start it? What happens?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by PKRWUD
Connect the two wires from the remote starter to the two battery cable posts on the relay mounted on the passenger side fender.

As far as not starting, did you forget to tighten down the distributor? There is no reason it would run fine one minute and not start the next. Does it have spark? Have you verified your marks? Have you tried rotating the distributor while trying to start it? What happens?
thanks PKRWUD for responding. I broke out the haynes manual for the remote starter hookup and it works just fine to bump the engine (directions were a bit vague).

I pulled all spark plug wires and put them back on the dist. cap to rule out any possibility of them being crossed. the distributor is tightened when trying to start. rotated the timing mark to 0 degrees and attempting to align the rotor with the #1 spark plug. going to test the coil today.
thanks, Mark

Old 07-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Did you confirm that it was at TDC on the compression stroke when you set the balancer to zero degrees?

Do this: Remove the #1 spark plug (Forward most on the passenger side). Get a paper napkin or paper towel, wad it up into a tight ball, and stuff it into the #1 spark plug hole. Use your remote starter to just bump the starter. Just tap it. Keep tapping it until the napkin pops out. At that point, check the timing marks and rotate the crank until the zero degree mark lines up. It should be very close when you check it after the napkin pops out. That is TDC on the compression stroke. This is when you want the rotor pointing to the #1 plug wire on the distributor cap.

HTH.

Take care,
~Chris

Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 PM
I printed out your directions and will give the paper towel thing a try, a nifty idea. will post back with results. thanks so much.

Mark

Old 07-14-2008, 09:24 PM
I've got a million of them. lol.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Chris if u were in baltimore I'd buy you a crabcake dinner for that info with the paper towel. that towel blew out of there like no ones business. anyway the "0" mark was just a couple of degrees away from the stationary mark, the rotor actually went right into the #1 position. didnt start right away, adjusted the dist. got it running (not smooth yet) and shut it off, pulled the SPOUT plug and I cant adjust the timing to the 10 BTDC yet. it is off quite a bit, looks like it is running @ 10 ATDC. can I pull the dist. and run the rotor a bit past the #1 plug?

Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Technically, when the zero degree mark is even with the pointer, the rotor should be just past the #1 plug wire, but you should be able to rotate the distributor enough to get it set correctly. If you can't, you can try restabbing the distributor, but don't lose sight of where it should be.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:50 PM
we are back in business, brought the #1 up to TDC, pulled the dist. rotated it a bit, lined up the rotor with #1, timed it and the chalk marks line up. purring like it used to be. thanks ever so much Chris for the info. and guess what time it is? happy hour

Old 07-18-2008, 10:20 PM
No sweat, Mark. Literally. You're the one that got dirty. lol.

Take care,
~Chris

Quick Reply: starting problems