Pre-1997 Models

Best choice in replacement injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best choice in replacement injectors

I have found a fuel pressure problem that points to my injectors or fuel pump leaking off. My truck has almost 150k and to my knowledge the injectors are original. I am thinking about replacing them and have come up with several options.

1. Bosch type3 used
2. Bosch type 3 new
3. Factory type rebuilt
4. Other aftermarket new

I do not know a lot about injectors and want to get the best for my money. I am not interested in making a dragster out of my truck, but would like to improve the mileage. If I can get performance gains and improve mileage that would be super.

Any suggestions on the type of injectors or the pound ratings to look for?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:30 AM
What engine?
Why do you think your injectors are bad?
What tests have you done?
Is one or more of your spark plugs gasoline fouled?

Bigger injectors alone will give you exactly zero increased HP and may cause drivability issues.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like he said. Definately don't replace them, unless you have proven them to be bad. And if you do, then be sure to use a direct replacement. Accel's OEM replacement for the 5.0/5.8 is a 21lb unit, and is $280 for a matched set. This is less than half of the cost of a set of Bosch units. For a 16 year old truck, I'm a fan of saving $$ wherever possible.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:45 AM
The truck has a 5.0. I have checked fuel pressure and gone through the diagnostics in Haynes. Pressure holds at 31-32 lbs running, but dropps to 0 within 5 seconds of turning the key off. The truck does not hold pressure when primed and is somewhat slow to fire up. According to Haynes I crimped off the fuel lines to see if that slowed the pressure loss. It seemed to help when I crimped the return line, but no change when I crimped the supply line. This is supposed to point away from the pump. I changed the regulator with no improvement.

Other symptoms: serious engine knock when pulling a lot on grades that is minimal or not present otherwise. Poor mileage. Slight flutter at idle.

I have not removed all the plugs to compare them, but need to.

The prices I have found for injectors are about $165 for Bosch type3 or stock on Ebay both rebuilt. I can also get a set of Bosch type 3 for $70 used with low miles. All are 19lb. That is stock? Correct?

I agree and do not want to invest a lot of extra $ in this truck. With gas prices like they are, if this can make some difference, it may pay off.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:03 PM
OK you've done the correct tests. Most people don't have the proverbial clue. And you're right it sounds like injectors. The stock units for a 302 truck are rated for 19# @ 39 PSI. IIRC Accel rates their injectors at 45 PSI not 39 so they are virtually the same size. As to brands, Bosch are sometimes found in OEM and sometimes not. Ford has several suppliers.

There's nothing to choose between new and properly rebuilt. Not all rebuilds are done correctly. Don't replace with used parts you could end up just throwing good money after bad.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks. I checked on the Accel they are around $330 now. I can get a set of Bosch rebuilds with a 3yr warranty for about $165. The set of used ones I looked at are on auction on ebay starting at $39 or buy at $85. They have 72k on them.

I agree on saving $ on this truck. I only use it about 5-10K per year, but when I need it, I need it ready. That makes it hard to decide what is worth the work and expense. I have a lot in it and would rather make it last than to try to trade. The way I figure, I can fix it cheaper than tags and taxes on a newer one.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Bosch rebuilds for $165?

Originally Posted by red-truck
Thanks. I checked on the Accel they are around $330 now. I can get a set of Bosch rebuilds with a 3yr warranty for about $165. The set of used ones I looked at are on auction on ebay starting at $39 or buy at $85. They have 72k on them.

I agree on saving $ on this truck. I only use it about 5-10K per year, but when I need it, I need it ready. That makes it hard to decide what is worth the work and expense. I have a lot in it and would rather make it last than to try to trade. The way I figure, I can fix it cheaper than tags and taxes on a newer one.
I'm going through the same thing on my 1990 XLT. I've already bought rebuild kits and relpaced O-Rings and caps. If this doesn't work, I think I'll need a set. Where'd you find the Bosch for $165? My dealer says $182 + core trade.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:02 PM
I found them on ebay. Shipping is added. Bosch ended up being $169.95+. I found the stock for $165.
The address is below.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110225434220.

The stock ones are at a different site.
I ended up ordering a set of used ones. I hope I don't regret it, but I got them for $70+.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Its rare the fuel injectors go bad.

I think your throwing parts at it.

I'd blame the fuel pump or maybe the regulator if you have one? not sure on that.

Post this on fullsizebronco.com, I really don't think its the fuel injectors. Anyway its been discussed on there many times.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Need4racin
Its rare the fuel injectors go bad.

I think your throwing parts at it.

I'd blame the fuel pump or maybe the regulator if you have one? not sure on that.

Post this on fullsizebronco.com, I really don't think its the fuel injectors. Anyway its been discussed on there many times.
It has to be his injectors, where else is the fuel bleeding off? He crimped the fuel line in and out, and the pressure bled down to zero in seconds both times, and there is no fuel in the regulator vacuum line. The injectors are the only place left for the fuel to go.

Quick Reply: Best choice in replacement injectors