Pre-1997 Models

gear box replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gear box replacement

i went to get my tired aligned and they told me a needed a new gear box and right tie rod end. so i bought a new gear box and left and right tie rod ends. the gear box is the only thing i'm not sure about. can anyone tell me what kind of project i'm looking at here? i've done repairs on my truck (u-joints, ball joints, etc) but never a gearbox.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Why did they tell you you needed a gearbox? If it had excessive play, you could tighten the worm gear a little and fix that. Just make sure the steering wheel is centered and straight, and make sure the gearbox is centered. I just turn the gearbox all the way to one side, then count turns until it reaches the other side, then split the turns in half and that is centered. You will need a pitman arm puller, and something that will fit a 1 15/16" nut. Pretty cut and dry, though.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:24 AM
dang. i'm gonna try that then. their reason was as soon as i hit a bump, the alignment would be out of whack. i'm taking it back and trying that first.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Just to let you know, those were not the instructions on how to tighten the worm gear. That was what was needed to change the gearbox. To snug the worm gear, there is a nut with a threaded screw sticking out of it on top of the gear box. You need a flat head screwdriver and a 5/8 wrench. Loosen the nut, and turn the screw while holding the nut. You just need to turn the screw until you feel it stop, then hold it and tighten the nut. Don't wrench down on the screw, or the steering wheel won't automatically turn back after making a turn. You probably won't get a whole turn out of it. Doing this will take the slack out of the box.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:37 AM
bump

Last edited by bigbronc; 04-12-2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: cancel message
Old 04-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by bigbronc
To snug the worm gear, there is a nut with a threaded screw sticking out of it on top of the gear box. You need a flat head screwdriver and a 5/8 wrench. Loosen the nut, and turn the screw while holding the nut. You just need to turn the screw until you feel it stop, then hold it and tighten the nut. Don't wrench down on the screw, or the steering wheel won't automatically turn back after making a turn. You probably won't get a whole turn out of it. Doing this will take the slack out of the box.
I was always told that you need to disconnect the fluid line at the box before adjusting the screw, otherwise it would mess something up. There was also something about removing the steering wheel pad cover to gain access to a nut on the wheel. I just remember it being a lot more than simply loosening the nut and turning the adjusting screw. Was i told wrong, is it as easy as doing what you said?

Quick Reply: gear box replacement