Pre-1997 Models

Moog Lower Ball Joint Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moog Lower Ball Joint Issues

Actaully, I have the issue. I can't seem to tighten up the nut on the just installed lower ball joint. The stud in the joint spins with the nut once it gets to around finger tight. After much work, with not a lot to show for it, I cried uncle. It has a slot in the top where a tool like a screwdriver bit would go, and you could hold onto the nut with a wrench, but I thought I would tap the collective wisdom of the forum before I buy anymore tools.
Thanks in advance

Old 03-24-2008, 09:28 PM
I called the Moog telephone number this morning and asked for tech hotline. Eureka! He said torque up the lower joint with a "regular" nut , a 3/4x16 RH, then once everything is tight, take it off and go back with the locknut. The locknut is a real bear, but you don't want it coming off! The tapered ball joint stud has to seat tight enough in the tapered hole where the ball joint stud goes to get enough tension to overcome the grip of the locknut. Naturally, I had to pay some "stupid tax" but we won't get into that!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Hate to answer my own thread, but if you have been following, here is the conclusion. I got a 3/4x16rh nut from lowes. It threaded on the stud properly, so I used it to bring the torque up on the lower just like the inst said. Torque the lower to 35, then the upper(using the castle nut supplied) to 100, then the lower to 111. No problems with the stud spinning in the case. So I took the lowes nut off and retorqued to 111 with the lock nut.
Hope this helps someone else.

Quick Reply: Moog Lower Ball Joint Issues