Pre-1997 Models

7.5 460 engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.5 460 engine

I just joined a while back and am looking to improve my ride. 1995 F250 2wd XL, 3/4 ton i think, ext cab, 460 7.5 L, green, 56-57k miles, single tires, It is a work truck so I want to get better than 5or6 mpg, and it has an E40D trans. I want it performing to its peak. It hasn't really been abused so far, I had to clean a mouse bed and spider webs out of the engine. There is very little rust it was underbody coated so that helped alot. It drives like it hasn't even been broken in yet, which I will do. I just gave it a tune up, plugs ,wires, dis .cap rotors, fuel filter, exhaust sytem check, what would be the next step; new cold air intake( which brand), performance chip( what else goes with this?), fuel injectors are probably good( put in fuel inj cleaner), not planing on doing any exhaust work this year maby next winter. Any help/ suggestions will do. I have basic mechanic knowledge i want to work my way up on this one. thanks.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://performanceunlimited.com/projectmpg/results.html

Pay attention to the overall results charts. There are a few things that contradict themselves on different pages if you look at the footnotes. It seems basic intake restriction removal and some exhaust stuff helps mileage some.

I'm not sure if the 460s respond as well to ignition mods. The 302 get a decent boost from a hotter coil and/or box. If you can find a good reliable system you can get very good MPG gains. I've toasted a couple Jacobs systems, but got mileage improvements more than enough to pay for it, and then some. The company changed hands and I've been dragging my feet on checking about another exchange.

Some chips that go to premium will give an offset in increased MPG that more than makes up the fuel difference cost. We don't have many 460 owners here, but lots of 302 and 300 owners have experienced it. Troyer (Troyerperformance site sponser) used to support just about all Ford trucks, and has a great rep among the site users of his product.

Quick Reply: 7.5 460 engine