Pre-1997 Models

351W Water pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351W Water pump

Today when I got home from work I popped open the hood to check my power steering fluid, and looks like my water pump is leaking. Thought it was PS fluid at first since that has been leaking slowly, but sure enough it was antifreeze.
Just went and asked a guy I know at a shop how much it would run me to have it replaced... said around 400 after its all said and done with... so I figure I'll be doing this one myself.

Has anybody done a waterpump on one of these engines? Anything to look out for, problems wise?

Going to try and convince my work (a chevy dealer/shop :o) to let me pull it in and work in it there so I don't have to do it in the cold, so hopefully they'll be ok with it. Nothing worse then trying to work on stuff when you can't even feel your fingers.
I swear, literally every time I get something fixed, something else breaks. Just had 500$ in exhaust work done for true duals... now the pump is leaking. Hopefully it'll at least make it through the week if I keep filling the coolant so I can bring it into work next Saturday.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:02 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Straight forward job, I'll be doin' one here shortly and will take step by step pictures, but pick up a haynes manual and you should be good to go.

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did mine at the beginning of the year. Two bolts broke off in the block. Other than something like that happening, pretty straight forward.

Quick Reply: 351W Water pump