Pre-1997 Models

1992 F150 4.9 Stalls in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 F150 4.9 Stalls in reverse

I have a 1992 F150 with the 4.9 six and a E4OD trans. The truck stalls when i put it into reverse. The engine runs great and idles like it should. The rear abs light comes on when it stalls and stays on for a few seconds after it restarts. Does this have something to do with it? I have to take my foot off the brake and give her a little gas before i put her into reverse to keep her running. When i put it in reverse, the engine revs a little then clunk, it stalls.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 PM
The ABS light should come on if the motor stalls with the ignition ON, and it should be on for a couple seconds after starting, that's normal and part of the self-test the ECU does at start-up. If it stays on all the time it means the ABS is disabled due to a bad sensor or something. I don't think that has anything to do with it.

How does the tranny work in drive? Smooth shifting, no stalling, all 4 speeds work? If it's kinda rough in forward too you might just need a fluid/filter change. Do you know the last time it was done? If not, do it anyway, it can't hurt.

Does the O/D off light ever blink, the little amber light on the shift ****? If it does, it's a self-diagnostic code. If not, bring the truck to a ford dealer and get them to pull codes (even if the check engine light isn't on there could be codes present). Off the shelf readers won't get tranny codes if I remember, only ford readers will.

Is it a 4x4? If so, put the t-case in N and then try shifting to R. Does the same thing happen then?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Thank you for the information on the abs light. The trans does shift normally through three of the gears but jumps into over drive. Everything is pointing twords the transmission. The truck has stalled in drive before too, but not very often. It also doesn't stall in reverse all the time just most of the time. The guy i bought it from said that he changed out the trans last year with one from a junk yard (not good). I have a feeling he didn't change the torque converter when he swapped them out. Anyway, i'm going to take it to a trans shop to get an idea what I may be looking at.

Thanks again for the info!

Quick Reply: 1992 F150 4.9 Stalls in reverse