Pre-1997 Models

Stiff Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stiff Ignition

So i live in winnipeg,MB,CA and its unbliveible cold we had like -45C for almost 2 weeks, im not sure what that is in F so im sorry either way its way too cold and even if i have my truck plugged in for the whole night for like 8 hours(yes my block heater does work) my ignition is the stiffest to move and when i try to crank it its so hard to move it barly truns over, is there sometihng i can do to help my ignition switch to move easyer?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skate,

At -40 degrees, Celsius and Fahrenheit scales cross. At about -20 I don't think it's possible to feel any difference as it get colder. It's just, well, cold!

Anyway, I have an 89 350 and have the same problem. The key switch controls the electrical switch and a mechanical bar to lock the steering wheel. I'm pretty sure it's the wheel lock that needs cleaning and new lube. I've thought about taking the lock off mine, but by the time I get apart, I'd probably just fix it right.

As I don't drive it every day, it's a problem that I've just kind of ignored. In any event, you'll need to remove the steering wheel and find the bind. Clean and re-lube whatever is int the column and you should be alright.

Quick Reply: Stiff Ignition