Pre-1997 Models

basic tune up help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
basic tune up help

hey.. im 17 and had my truck for almost a year now.. truck been in family about 15k miles and its mine now... I doubt when we bought it they ever changed spark plugs or anything so I figure I might as well go ahead and do it.. any suggestions to everything I should do as far as the tune up? Wires? what kind of spark plugs? (is idium or w/e really worth it..) Also.. with 120k miles on it.. think having a vacuum, compression test done would be smart on the old 300?

Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Use only the cheapo Autolites from Wal-Mart. But you can get some 8-9mm silicone plug wires. Get a Haynes manual & read Ch.1. Also, read the maintenance supplement to the owner's manual. A compression test won't hurt, and installing a permanent vacuum gauge is a good way to keep an eye on the engine's overall condition.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Yup, cheapo cap and rotor with the autolites, but I like to spend the money for Motorcraft brand wires from ford. 70bucks if I remember right.

Fuel filter and a fuel line tool to do it would be a good idea.

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-21-2007, 03:11 PM
If i was u i would get spark plugs,fuel filter,roter and cap,plug wires and run some fuel injector cleaner through.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't know how old your truck is, but would echo the above suggestions. I just did plugs, wires, cap, rotor and air filters on my 88 (also a 300 6).

One suggestion on the cap. I would advise lubing (wd40, PB blaster etc) the bolts on the cap for a couple days prior to trying to remove.... I've had bad luck shearing one or both off. It is easy to spray in on top... but try to shoot some up from the under side too.

If you do shear them off, you might try a dremel to 'drill out' the hold/bolt vs. drill bits (you'll probably break many bits trying....).

As for the plugs.... I did one 88 and earlier an 87. Former was relatively easy, the latter nearly impossible to get out the OLD plugs. You should know pretty quickly how tough yours will be. I used no extension, or 1 of 2 size/length extensions on my sockets to get the best angle of attack, depending on which plug I was going after. Try to make sure you have various extension available before starting or you might get frustrated half way through.

Quick Reply: basic tune up help