Pre-1997 Models

Intake Manifold for 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Manifold for 5.0L

I have a 94 f-150 with a 5.0L engine. I was googling mods that I could do for it when I came across a web page that said the intake systems are very restrictive on the ford trucks, and that if you replaced the upper and lower intake manifold with one from a ford explorer with the same size engine, you would gain some horsepower. I since cannot find that page but I have found another page that shows how it is done on a 5.0L mustang.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/614.shtml

So my question is: Has anyone here done this swap or know of someone who has? And did it work for increasing torque, horsepower, or anything?

Thanks.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Do a couple searches on here. The jury seems to be out depending on where you want the power curve.

The truck intakes are restrictive to a point, but give better low end torque than a lot of other possibilities. If you have a really low gear or light truck, you might think about an Explorer swap or something similar, but for most people they seem to dislike them.

My .02 is that if you want your truck to retain a truck like torque curve the money is much better spent on heads, and possibly a cam swap.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:15 PM
The Explorer uses what is essentially a cast version of the GT-40 manifold. Adding it to an otherwise stock engine will net you nery nearly zero. Remember that the Explorer also has the matching GT-40P heads.

If you want a truck manifold which offers more performance than the stocker, look at an Edelbrock (but it likes bigger heads too.)

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold for 5.0L