Pre-1997 Models

Questions and help about swapping stuff around

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions and help about swapping stuff around

Ok..so my neighbor has a 94 f-150 5.0 4x4 that the motor just went. He asked me if I wanted to buy a parts truck, and I looked at him kind of funny cause I didnt know his motor went and that was the only truck he had, then he told me what happen. The truck seems to be in great shape, other then the motor obviously.

My truck on the other hand is beat to hell. Motor runs like a champ (its the I6 of course). Its been through 2 accidents and its rusted beyond repair.

So it got me thinking, Would it be worth it to swap my motor into his truck? It should bolt to the trans fine, right? Could I use my exsisting engine bay wiring harness, or do I need to find one from a 92-96 truck that had the I6(wiring isnt my shinning point so act like your talking to a 5 year old when it comes to it). So basically is it do-able without to much extra work. It would be sweet to get my motor in there and have it run. Body is in great shape, its newer and its 4x4.

Next question, If thats out of my league. Im gonna see what rear end that truck has. Is swapping the whole rear end with mine a bolt in project. Im hoping it has a 3.55 LS, that would be a nice upgrade from my 2.73 open.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:43 AM
You'd need a harness from a 92-95, the 96s are different. You would have to modify the sensor array on your engine to match. You'd need new motor mounts and a 6 cyl flywheel/flexplate if yours doesn't match his tranny (the * cylinder versions have a different imbalance. You would also probably want a radiator for a 6 cyl, the ports are reversed.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You also have to make sure of any emissions requirements in your area. They usually don't take kindly to retrofitting a new vehicle with an olfder engine.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:35 PM
are they both automatic or standerd shift?

Bruce

Old 03-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
You'd need a harness from a 92-95, the 96s are different. You would have to modify the sensor array on your engine to match. You'd need new motor mounts and a 6 cyl flywheel/flexplate if yours doesn't match his tranny (the * cylinder versions have a different imbalance. You would also probably want a radiator for a 6 cyl, the ports are reversed.
Can you explain what you mean about modifying the sensor array? And couldnt i just use my motor mounts and radiator?

Originally Posted by Clifford f150
You also have to make sure of any emissions requirements in your area. They usually don't take kindly to retrofitting a new vehicle with an olfder engine.
I never thought about that, the dmv can be a pain in the **** when it comes to some things.

Originally Posted by Bruce R Leech
are they both automatic or standerd shift?
They are both auto. Mine is a C6. His has to be either the E4OD or the other "light duty" overdrive trans

Old 03-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lunatic0987
Can you explain what you mean about modifying the sensor array? And couldnt i just use my motor mounts and radiator?

The sensors on your truck are going to be very different from the sensors on a 94. You need the wiring harness, the PCM and the sensors from a 94 with a 300. You cannot just stuff your 300 in and use your old PCM. It won't interface with the electronically ontrolled tranny, the anti-lock brakes or even the electronic speedo

Old 03-22-2007, 09:27 PM
that sounds like more work than its worth IMO, how hard would it be to find a good long block or whatever the 94 need to be road worthy again? 302 are pretty cheap to rebuild and are very plentiful, then you could have nice driver and a beater

Quick Reply: Questions and help about swapping stuff around