Pre-1997 Models

Mystery part question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery part question...

Hi fellas. I was changing the plugs, wires, and dist. cap and rotor today in my '90 F250 with a 351, and a broke what looks like a little red hose that goes into a box above the passenger side wheel well. The hose was very brittle, and I barely touched it. Luckily I didn't break all of them (there were 3 or 4 of various colors). The hoses enter the box from the top. Does anybody know what these are...maybe vacuum lines??? The truck runs smooth as butter after replacing the ignition components, but now the check engine light is on, and I'm pretty sure it is because that hose is broken. If anybody knows what that is I'd really like to know. I can post a picture tomorrow if I need to.

Thanks,
Hunter

Old 03-07-2007, 02:26 AM
The hose is about 1/8" - 1/4" in diameter if that helps.

Thanks,
Hunter

Old 03-07-2007, 04:14 AM
If it's going to a coffee can looking canister, I think that is a vaccuum canister. Just get some vacuum hose and splice in the broken part.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Excuse my ingnorancej, but what is the purpose of that vaccum canister? I broke mine as well, and lef it outl, because the hoses are so brittle.

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:21 AM
the vacuum canister stores vacuum for when the engine doesn't have much so your vacuum controls still work. don't eliminate repair or better replace the vacuum lines going to it or you will have problems later. you might just as well start replacing all of your vacuum lines. as they are at the end of there life expectancy. do them one at a time so you don't mess up. on a 1995 or older car you shuld have replaced all hoses, water and vacuum. and don't forget the ones going to your tyranny cooler. this will eliminate 90 % of your brake down potential.

Bruce

Old 03-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Vacuum line. Just get some rubber hose down at a hardware store and do the replacin' as needed.

check yer check engine light out by followin' the directions at www.fordfuelinjection.com

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-07-2007, 12:06 PM
the vacuum canister stores vacuum for when the engine doesn't have much so your vacuum controls still work. don't eliminate repair or better replace the vacuum lines going to it or you will have problems later. you might just as well start replacing all of your vacuum lines. as they are at the end of there life expectancy. do them one at a time so you don't mess up. on a 1995 or older car you shuld have replaced all hoses, water and vacuum. and don't forget the ones going to your tyranny cooler. this will eliminate 90 % of your brake down potential.

Bruce

Old 03-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks guys. I looked at 2 auto parts stores today, and neither of them had vacuum lines that small. So, as a temporary fix, I slid another rubber hose over both broken ends. That fixed the CEL for now, but I am going to replace all vacuum hoses this weekend. Does anybody know where I can get some vac lines that small?

Hunter

Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 PM
those tiny plastic lines connect on each end to rubber connectors. just pull them off and replace the whole thing with new rubber hose. Ford sells the plastic , But don't bother with that.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by Bruce R Leech
those tiny plastic lines connect on each end to rubber connectors. just pull them off and replace the whole thing with new rubber hose. Ford sells the plastic , But don't bother with that.

Old saying: FPP (freaking plastic piece)

Quick Reply: Mystery part question...