Pre-1997 Models

Squeaking clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 04:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaking clutch.

96 4.9L 80,000 miles: I'm getting a squeaking sound when depressing and releasing the clutch pedal. Not real loud but annoying. I had someone sit in drivers seat to push and release pedal while I was underneath to try to pinpoint the source and it seems to be coming from inside the clutch housing. I can also *feel* it by *touch* on the clutch hydraulic line from the housing to the clutch fluid reservoir. Any help appreciated!

Old 12-11-2006, 02:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pressure plate

Originally Posted by weez
96 4.9L 80,000 miles: I'm getting a squeaking sound when depressing and releasing the clutch pedal. Not real loud but annoying. I had someone sit in drivers seat to push and release pedal while I was underneath to try to pinpoint the source and it seems to be coming from inside the clutch housing. I can also *feel* it by *touch* on the clutch hydraulic line from the housing to the clutch fluid reservoir. Any help appreciated!
If you only hear that noise with the engine shut off that would be normal. Although I would think if the noise was from the pressure plate, it would be hard to hear sitting in the drivers seat even with the engine off. If you can hear it while driving(and shifting) I wouldn't know what to think.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Start by lubing the pedal shaft bushings (they're inside the tube for the brake pedal) & the lever-to-pushrod bushing. Click my signature link & look in the Hydraulic Clutch album for some diagrams & photos.

If that doesn't fix it, then the release (throwout) bearing is probably squeaking on the trans nosepiece, and you'd have to pull the trans (or the engine) to replace it. There's no sense in just lubing it, considering the work to get at it.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I may have misdiagnosed the source of the noise and will first investigate further based on the info about the clutch pedal shaft assembly. I found the R&R of this part on your excellent site Steve, thanks!

Old 12-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Are you hearing this with the engine runnin?

Old 12-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Running or off making the same sound. It's never real loud and changes in volume and even makes no sound sometimes. Tough one! Since I placed the original post I came across the info here re the clutch pedal shaft issue so I'm going to check that first and hope. Ideally it just needs some lube.

Quick Reply: Squeaking clutch.