Pre-1997 Models

Ways To know if its your Throttle Position sensor causing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ways To know if its your Throttle Position sensor causing Problems

I had a problem with my transmission that where my truck would go up to 4300 to shift to each gear. You would have to gun it to make it shift, on a snowy day good luck. And to top it off it was idleing like it was missing but had new plugs and wires. The worst part is that i just bought it. Pretty scary. Well i narrowed it down and found that it would be the throttle position sensor(TPS) that was causing those problems. My only problem is... Its in such a tight space, how is the best way to change it? Do i have to take the whole throttle body off or can i get to it where it is without taking it off. Also if i take it off, is there a gasket where the throttle body is? If anyone knows please let me know

Old 11-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Yes, take the TB off to do it, it's not a big deal, a few bolts, couple of connectors. Just watch out for the coolant lines, mine were corroded and broke off during replacement. I rigged up a repair, but it's possible to just bypass them. The TPS replaces fairly easily once the TB is in your hand.

You will need to replace the gasket on the TB

Old 11-12-2006, 01:28 AM
yeah its finished i didnt see a gasket on my tb. Well everything is working great!!!!!!! I dont think there is too much to mess up with it once you start taking it apart. Goodluck

Quick Reply: Ways To know if its your Throttle Position sensor causing Problems