Pre-1997 Models

12v outlets not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12v outlets not working

Well, one of 'em isn't. On my '93 XL there's one power outlet right in front of the shifter(manual), and the other in the pull-out ashtray. The socket in the ashtray doesn't work, and I can't use the one in front of the shifter because the plug interferes with shifting. I don't have a manual for the truck, and was wondering if a fuse might have popped for the ashtray outlet. The wires to it are both secure, but there's no power being supplied. The other outlet works fine.

What would the fuse location be for the ashtray socket? I checked the box and a few slots were empty so I figured the previous owner might have removed the fuse for whatever reason. What would be a suitable amperage to put in?

Old 10-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Check fuse #16 in the under dash fuse panel.
It should be 15a

Old 10-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Sorry to be so helpless here, but where is fuse #16 in the rows of fuses? Or how does the order go? Like I said, I don't have a manual to reference to. Anywhere I can get a diagram of this?

Old 10-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I'll get a pic tomarrow if no one does tonight.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:10 PM
hey i have a 93 f150 with the 5 speed got the same problum the ask tray dont work but i believe my fuse is good there sure be a diagram on the fuse box cover mine has it with a list of what is what if not sneek a peak at one at the local auto parts store i will try to make a copy of my diagram in my manuel or something for ya

Old 10-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Nevermind, turns out the paper with the fuse pattern wasn't on the little fuse panel door, and was instead crammed in a wad up above it. Checked the fuse slot, and it was empty. The paper called for a 15a, but I didn't have any of them(butI had a bazillion inline glass fuses of every rating imaginable, now useless since the dune buggy had a habit of popping fuses), so I tossed a 30a in instead. It's not like I'm going to be running any high-draw or dangerous loads off the pull-out lighter, mostly just an car adapter for a portable CD player(much cheaper than buying a CD deck) plugged into the cassete slot. If it was something important I would put the proper rating in, but I don't really care. The ashtray outlet works fine now, thanks for your help.

Is it just me or is the "power point" in the worst possible location? An inch higher, and it wouldn't be a problem. Probably was placed with an automatic column-shift in mind.

Last edited by RaWarrior; 10-23-2006 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 12v outlets not working