Pre-1997 Models

'95 with E4OD MESSED UP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '95 with E4OD MESSED UP!

I have a 1995 F-150 with an E4OD that is giving me problems. When the battery cable has been unplugged and the computer memory is reset, the transmission shifts very nice.

After about 20 minutes of driving, the shifting gets harsh. It is most harsh between 1-2 and 2-D, and the D-OD isn’t too bad. As well as a harsh shift, other symptoms happen too.

First, if I put it in R and hold on the brake so the truck doesn’t move, the engine will “load” and sometimes kill. I also hear a chattering sound coming from underneath while I am holding on the brake. Then, when I let off the brake (no throttle applied) the truck moves in reverse very quickly (maybe 5 mph) with the engine still at a low idle. Stopping again puts the engine under a “load”. Sometimes shifting from D to R, such as when getting into or out of a parking stall, will cause the engine to kill as well.

Second, if I put it in R and hold on the brake (the engine loads) and then shift into N, the engine revs very high for a second or two until it comes back to normal idle. Also, the engagement from P or N into R is very harsh.

Finally, I get similar results when the lever is in 1. (Engine loading, chatter, harsh engagement, and engine revving when shifting from 1 to N while not moving.) However, if I have the lever in D and hold on the brake, the truck is normal.

Does anyone have any ideas what is happening here?

Thanks,
-JR

Old 10-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Hows the fluid look?

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Fluid looks good, smells good, and at the right level.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:43 PM
whats the line presurre like ? sounds like the trans is in default mode. does the mil light flash?

Old 10-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Disconnet the battery and then reconnect and drive it very easy, like grandma would. This will set the memory on easy driving.

Quick Reply: '95 with E4OD MESSED UP!