Pre-1997 Models

92 no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 no start

245k miles on it, 2wd, 5.0/auto dual tanks. pretty much original with mostly highway miles.

Heres the deal. While driving last winter the truck just stopped running. Checked all fuses, relays, and it just stopped running. Still had some fuel pressure left at the schrader valve but couldnt get spark. Let it sit untill this summer and swapped a rebuilt 5.0 in untill I can get the 347 done on the original block.

Everything connected, still no spark, and now no fuel pressure at schrader valve. Do these have the impact fuel shutoff like some older Ford cars do? If so where is it? I can replace the fuel pump but I want to know what the problem is before I throw parts at it. Especially fuel pumps.

Checked the coil and replaced it with one from a running 89 5.0. Still no spark. There is no module in this distributor like the older models, so it leaves me somewhat lost.

Anyway background on me. ASE certified and usually a classic Ford and mostly GM tech but havent worked in the field since 99. This is the 2nd newest vehicle I own otherwise everything is pre 79. Just dont have any info and the only experience I have on this year Ford is mine.

Amazing that I can be certified and cant fix my truck, isnt it? Well really I just want some ideas of what to look for since my mind is wired wrong to work on GM stuff.

love this truck by the way.. its been great to me. for over 130K

Old 10-04-2006, 11:14 PM
In the cab drivers side against firewall or behind right kick panel.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:34 AM
This should help with a few item locations...

Old 10-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Typically if the fuel shutoff is tripped(closed) a yellow idiot light will come on the dash. But I've noticed most of the idiot lights in my truck don't work, so I wouldn't count on them. The only ones that work are the highbeam indicator, ABS light, and the left/right arrows. All the rest are broken. Either the CEL is busted too, or has just never been tripped, I've never seen it lit.

I think in dual tank models it's on the driver side firewall(cab side), on single tank ones then it's behind the right kickboard. Or check your manual if you're unsure.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Still nothing... getting frustrating.. I want my truck back!

Quick Reply: 92 no start