Pre-1997 Models

302 Head Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 Head Compatibility

I have an '89 f150, 302, reman motor w/ 130k on it. Seem to have broken a head bolt. The second one from the rear under the passenger side exhaust manifold. I am pretty sure the head is warped, as the motor did overheat a couple of weeks ago, and then started losing water. That is the reason I was looking. I still don't really know for sure that it is even a related problem, as the location does not have any water jackets around it. Very confused. Anyway, I have a set of heads from an unknown vehicle on the shelf. I will have to check the casting numbers on them, but is there a resource for determining which heads will work and which heads will cause problems for a certain vehicle/motor/etc.? I don't remember, but the combustion chamber may be different on the spare heads. Again, I'll have to look. Any suggestions? If I don't use those, I'll have to re-use the existing heads, and that means machine work, which means down time. Trying to minimize that.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 AM
The spare heads I have have a casting number: E6SE. This is 1986 T'bird. They use a heart shaped chamber, while I believe the ones on my truck are an open chamber. Does anybody know the volume of the factory truck heads? And does anybody know the volume of the T'bird heads?

Dave

Old 10-23-2006, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by whateg01
The spare heads I have have a casting number: E6SE. This is 1986 T'bird. They use a heart shaped chamber, while I believe the ones on my truck are an open chamber. Does anybody know the volume of the factory truck heads? And does anybody know the volume of the T'bird heads?

Dave
Factory heads for that year truck are E7TE castings which are found on truck and the 5.0 Mustangs. Good used heads could be bought for $100/pair.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks for all the info. The truck is back together now - and running. I did no headwork or machinework, for that matter, just bearings and rings. All the surfaces were flat to within specs so I skimped a bit. (I couldn't really afford to do anything to the truck.) Only took a month and a half, but it was out of the driveway at 11:51pm New Year's Eve!

Dave

Quick Reply: 302 Head Compatibility