Pre-1997 Models

[large pics]New Exhaust is On[dialup beware]

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[large pics]New Exhaust is On[dialup beware]

My exhaust had been replaced before and was due for it again. Rather than go with a local muffler shop I decided to go with the Edelbrock Performer RPM system because of PKRWUD's recommendation.

Before:

During:

After:

After:

This system looks great, installation was very straightforward. Since my front bumper is still in the process of being painted I haven't got the chance to drive it yet, but so far I am very well pleased.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:48 PM
I really like the two beveled tips out the side of the bumper, really looks sharp.

I have a "performance exhaust" also, it has a lot less flow impedeance since half of it is gone. From the cat/con back, no exhaust. Funny thing, doesn't sound abnormally loud at all. Maybe I'll fix it, maybe not.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Sweet. I want one! How much did it cost?

Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 PM
O Lord I just listened to that and Told the wife I got to have one.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:04 PM
O Lord I just listened to that and Told the wife I got to have one.
Confused, what did you listen to, the sound clip of my Vette from the other thread?

I really like the two beveled tips out the side of the bumper, really looks sharp.

I have a "performance exhaust" also, it has a lot less flow impedeance since half of it is gone. From the cat/con back, no exhaust. Funny thing, doesn't sound abnormally loud at all. Maybe I'll fix it, maybe not.
Well for the I6 I promise you this system isn't gonna be a flow restriction at all. The three inch pipe back to the muffler and 2 2.5's exiting it are more than enough. As for the sound without a muffler at all, some vehicles sound really good. I know lots of people who do away with the mufflers and just run straight pipes on their Vettes and Camaro's. Of course the sad part about the vette world is that "straight pipes" doesn't sound cool enough. As such people sell "muffler eliminators" for the price of what a good muffler would cost. The even worse part, people are dumb enough to pay for them! They'll pay $150 for what any muffler shop can do for $10

Well the bumper is back on the truck now and I just got back from my first drive with the new exhaust system. My first thought was "that's not really any louder than stock." Then I corrected myself as I realized that it wasn't stock to begin with. The truck had a glass pack on it, which was slightly louder than stock would have been. Since the old muffler was actually still intact and it was just the tailpipe that was gone, this isn't a bit louder.

So my opinion of the overall sound? It's not bad at all. It's quiet enough for cruising but it will let you know that you're actually pressing the pedal when you really get on it. I am very pleased to report that it isn't "buzzy" or ricerish like I was somewhat afraid the 6-cyl might sound like.

Overall opinion of the system, I love it. I ordered it from Summit, for $260 plus shipping I believe. That's a little steep for an exhaust system, but not when you really break it down. The muffler shop wanted over $100 to do something very similar to what was already on the truck, which was installed new some 6 years ago and was already rusted away. I have no doubt that this system will last a lot longer. Overall it's really not bad when you consider that a good quality exhaust system for my Corvette starts at around $500!

The fit and finish is also very good, and I was very pleased to see the chrome tips and the wide band style exhaust clamps. The picture on summit's website didn't show these parts, so i was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box and found them.

Last edited by Nathan Plemons; 09-26-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Nice job! I'm glad you're happy with it. So, what do I get? lol.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Confused, what did you listen to, the sound clip of my Vette from the other thread?
I apolagise I thought that was your new exaust. I want somthing for mine thats a little louder but not obnoxious. Old friend owns a muffller shop and offered to put on a flowmaster for 110.00.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by PKRWUD
Nice job! I'm glad you're happy with it. So, what do I get? lol.
How about some added reputation points for your profile Dunno where they show up or anything, but they've been added.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by dptyscott
I apolagise I thought that was your new exaust. I want somthing for mine thats a little louder but not obnoxious. Old friend owns a muffller shop and offered to put on a flowmaster for 110.00.
Well the exhaust you listened to was a 5.7L chevy breathing through a set of 1 3/4" long tube headers, an x-pipe and flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Most everybody tells me that the exterior sound is amazing, people are mixed about the interior sound. You can certainly hear it but it creates a resonance around 1400-1800 RPM's that just rubs some people the wrong way. I'm long since deaf to it, just be warned, that's kinda a flowmaster thing.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:19 PM
No, I was being sarcastic, I have half of the original exhaust, the rest rusted away. I got it like this. Actually the rust broke through right behind the catcon, there's a 3' legenth of pipe missing, and the rest of the exhaust is just sitting in the back like normal. Guess I could reconnect it, but I just don't care enough. Doesn't trip any sensors, mileage is fine, I didn't even notice until I crawled under there to inspect the tank.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
How about some added reputation points for your profile Dunno where they show up or anything, but they've been added.
Sounds fair to me.

Quick Reply: [large pics]New Exhaust is On[dialup beware]