Pre-1997 Models

93 F-150 surging and running bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 F-150 surging and running bad

Hey guys i posted a few weeks back my 1993 F-150 with the 302 was surging bad from normal idle to about 200 rpm's and wont even idle one suggestion was bad or dirty iac so i took it off and cleaned it spotless with carb cleaner and even though i could actually tell a difference in the way the truck drives at highway speeds it didnt help at all in the idling however i took it to a garage for a little tech advice and they told me it would either be that or the idle control motor. But they only thing i have saw wrong is the metal line the egr valve fits on and appears to run to under the intake manifold is leaking somewhere because when you gas it a puff or black smoke comes from about center of the line. my mechanic saw it too and said it wouldnt have anything to do with how the truck is running guys this thing is getting about 6mpg right now and is there at the point of being un drivable .... I took it to the local autozone because i dont have a code reader and they said they didnt even have a hookup to check a 93 so im really stuck.... any help would be greatly appreciated...

Daniel

Old 01-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suspect the TPS (throttle position sensor). This has been mentioned previously, have you ruled that out?

As to the autozone not being able to pull the codes, they can you just have to find a good store/salesperson. You can also pull the codes yourself using just a paperclip.

Do a search here, there's instructions.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:10 PM
That sounds like the same that was going on with my 93. I replaced the TPS and everything was fine again.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks alot guys im gonna pickup a TPS a friend of mine at a local parts store said if it didnt fix the problem he would let me return it ill give ya an update..........

Daniel

Old 01-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by daniel3312
Thanks alot guys im gonna pickup a TPS a friend of mine at a local parts store said if it didnt fix the problem he would let me return it ill give ya an update..........
Daniel
Thats a good deal he is giving you. Around here when you buy electrical parts there are no returns.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Yea i know what you mean thats how all the big stores here are i live in a town of about 9,000 we have a autozone and oreilys and this small napa barely holdin on before the chains came in we had 5 smaller stores and although they couldnt compare with the prices you couldnt beat the service...

Quick Reply: 93 F-150 surging and running bad