Pre-1997 Models

broken coil spring

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken coil spring

has anyone heard of a coil spring accually breaking, i noticed my front was sitting off and found out the my coil spring was accually broken at the top, i can still drive it fine, it is broken off in a way that it wont come out unless i jump the truck and i dont plan on that but i have never heard of one breaking

Old 01-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Just like anything made of steel, stress cracks can happen if theres a weak point. Good excuse for a lift...

Old 01-08-2006, 03:40 PM
I see it fairly often. Just a little scratch or ding on a coil spring can cause stress risers, and after the rust works its way into the cracks the spring can easily crack and break. Occasionally i see them pop out and puncture tires, and it also fails safety inspection, at least here in NY. I agree with adrian, time for a lift kit!

-Jon

Old 01-08-2006, 07:22 PM
yea i agree with the lift kit but moneys tight, so i tihnk im gunna end up getting heavy duty springs which will prolly give me an inch and a half or so and i gotta add some leafs in the back for hauling fire wood so it will end up being maybe 2 inches higher, enough for some taller tires anyways

Quick Reply: broken coil spring