Pre-1997 Models

1990 4.9L Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1990 4.9L Will not start

The ole gal will not start, The problem started about a year ago, I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator and the Fuel/Air Idle solenoid. Now the problem is back and I just cant believe the same components are bad. The truck only gets driven about 5000 mi a year. I sort of suspect the ECC but I cant seem to find it.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does it get spark?
does it get fuel?
more info is needed
...zap!

Old 12-31-2005, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you pulled the codes from the computer? You only need a paperclip and that will tell you right away if it is the EEC

Old 01-01-2006, 12:50 PM
similar problem

I have, or maybe had, a similar problem. I have a 92 with an inline 6 cyl. It looks like my problem was the manual lever position sensor. If I put my truck in neutral it would start, but it would not start in park. The problem is actually intermittent some of the time, as every once in a while it will start in park, but most of the time not. The MLPS is located on the drivers side of the transmission housing. The gear shift cable from the steering column is connected to a lever, and the lever is connected to the MLPS (mlps has an electrical connector on it). There is a shaft that comes out of the transmission, and this shaft is moved by the cable into whatever you gear you shift the truck into (park, reverse, neutral, drive, etc.). The MLPS and the lever the cable is attached to are mounted around this shaft. I entered a post recently entitiled "1992 ford f-150 transmission type?". In the very last entry I gave a link to a picture of the MLPS. Check it out. I dont know if this is actually your problem, but its worth a shot.

Old 01-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tom5571
The ole gal will not start, The problem started about a year ago, I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator and the Fuel/Air Idle solenoid. Now the problem is back and I just cant believe the same components are bad. The truck only gets driven about 5000 mi a year. I sort of suspect the ECC but I cant seem to find it.
Howdy and welcome!

Need more info on the truck. Miles? Tranny? Does it crank? Do you have fuel pressure? Do you have spark?

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-03-2006, 01:36 AM
my truck wouldnt start because of a broken wire next to the battery

Quick Reply: 1990 4.9L Will not start