Pre-1997 Models

Fuse box under hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse box under hood?

Ok, I am having some problems here.

First off, my truck decided not to start, used the screwdriver trick on the starter solenoid and the truck fired right up. Replaced the solenoid and still the same problem. What should i check now?

Now onto the second thing, I was messing around with the wires and stuff today trying to see if connections were bad. Went to put the negative cable back on and it sparked some. Well i got that tight and went to go see if I accomplished anything, turned the key and nothing. Then i noticed I had no lights or anything. So I went and got my little jump starter, put that on the battery and still nothing. So im thinking I blew a fuse somewhere. There should be a fuse box under the hood correct? Maybe im retarded, but i dont see it, where is it?

Edit: One other thing, Once the truck started having the starting problem, the key is very very hard to get in or out of the ignition. It turns fine when in there, just very hard to get in and out.

And this might be helpful, Its a 87 f-150 I6 and automatic.

Last edited by Lunatic0987; 11-24-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Sounds like when you were "messing with the wiring", you grounded a wire in the lighting circuit. The fuse should be in the panel behind your dash. I'm not sure about the '87, but in later years the panel was located behind an access door below and to the left of the steering wheel.

Old 11-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Well i replaced the positive cable cause that was all nasty and falling apart. And still no luck. There is a fuse box under my steering wheel, but i thought there would be one under the hood with "main" fuses or something. Should I just go through all the fuses under the steering wheel and check them?

Old 11-25-2005, 06:03 PM
In my truck, the underhood fuse panel is behind the radiator overflow/windsield wiper fluid reservoir. If you blew a lighting fuse, though, it's more than likely going to be one of the fuses in your dash fuse panel. That's where I would look first, but be prepared for it to blow again. When you get sparks by reattaching the battery cable, it means there is a significant draw on the battery, so unless you had your headlights on at the time, I suspect you accidentally created a short somewhere.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:01 PM
No fuse box under the hood in 1987, just fuse links at the starter solenoid.

Quick Reply: Fuse box under hood?