Pre-1997 Models

Rusted Brake Line.. Helllllllp!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rusted Brake Line.. Helllllllp!

Well..

Today was a FUN ride... Looks like the brake line to my rears has rusted thru, about midway thru the cab..

Interestingly-- the pedal feel went away, then the braking.. THEN the light came on.. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA hossie!

Anyone replaced a brake line on an older truck?? It's an '86 F-150 4x4..

My main question-- is do I start from the front, or REAR of the truck.. And do the rear brakes share a single 'brakeline?' (this is WAY before ABS!) I'm assuming they do...

It's a longbed.. Not sure what differences that will make..

ANY help would be appreciated.. I just passed a kidney stone yesterday, and wasn't feeling like crawling up under it, to see what mess awaited me...

What size tubing will I need, would even be helpful!

AJ RN
(I accidentally posted in 'brakes' forgot that ALL pre-'97 stuff is HERE!)

SORRY!

Old 11-22-2005, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just go to a parts store and get 3/16" brake line they sell it in all different lengths, 6" 10" 20" 30" 40" etc. with the fittings already on it. Run a new line all the way from the front (it probably goes into a proportioning valve down on the frame below the master cylinder) to the rear brake hose. If you get under there and measure what length of line you will need you can get the right length lines and screw them together with some union fittings. Otherwise you have to cut and double flare the lines and it doesn't sound like you've done that before. When your done top off the fluid and bleed the brakes, make sure the bleeders in the wheel cylinders will open otherwise you will be replacing the wheel cylinders also. Btw you will need a set of decent line wrenches, regular open end wrenches will just round off the fittings.

-Jon

Quick Reply: Rusted Brake Line.. Helllllllp!