Pre-1997 Models

94 F150 A/C Help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 F150 A/C Help...

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Before screwing around under the dash, pop the hood and inspect the small vacuum line that feeds through the firewall.

It is located between the battery and the firewall and is notorious for developing leaks.

When vacuum to the HVAC control head is lost, all airflow automatically defaults to the defroster.

Airflow through defroster only is almost always a loss of vacuum. This applies to all Fords (and probably other makes as well).

Steve
This is the fix for when thA/C blows through defrost the whole time, but my problem is different..

HELP!!!!!!! pLease.....

When driving my 94 F150, my A/C stops blowing when near or above 2k rpm. I checked all the vaccum in the engine bay and all the vaccum lines under the dash. All are connected and working fine.

Today a new problem came about. While driving at or above 2k rpm, the a/c stops blowing (never turns off) and the engine starts "coughing" but never shuts off either. If I turn the air off right away the engine levels out and the "coughing" stops.

(If I take my foot off the gas pedal, the A/C starts blowing again.)

When i bought the truck I was told the compressor had a SMALL leak, so i filled it with freon and checked for leaks with a leak detector but was unable to find any leak. Here I am a week after putting in freon and the A/C is still cold (not as cold as a week ago so I do believe there is a small leak).

My questions are:

Can low freon levels cause the air to stop blowing at 2k rpm and above?
Can low freon levels make the car "cough"?

also, i mean air stops coming out of the vents but you can hear the blower and AC still going...

Also checked the flapper that redirects air from the vents to the dash defrost and the flapper works fine. You hear the air keeps blowing into the dash somewhere but never comes out of any vent or defrost

Old 09-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Does it stop blow air in both the normal and max settings? My '94 stopped blowing air in the max - recirulation- setting at about 35 mph, but it worked fine in the normal setting - outside air. I found the vacuum line to the vaccum motor that operated the recircualtion damper had a small hole it. I cut the hole out and installed a rubber hose and no problem. The vacuum line in question was a white plastic tubing coming through the firewall above the HVAC box in the engine compartment.
The engine 'coughing could be the result of a vacuum leak resulting in a lean air/fuel mixture going to the engine.
Roger

Old 09-25-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by RMS05
Does it stop blow air in both the normal and max settings? My '94 stopped blowing air in the max - recirulation- setting at about 35 mph, but it worked fine in the normal setting - outside air. I found the vacuum line to the vaccum motor that operated the recircualtion damper had a small hole it. I cut the hole out and installed a rubber hose and no problem. The vacuum line in question was a white plastic tubing coming through the firewall above the HVAC box in the engine compartment.
The engine 'coughing could be the result of a vacuum leak resulting in a lean air/fuel mixture going to the engine.
Roger
ding ding ding. we have a winner. It was the same plastic hose you have just mentioned. I cut out the broken part and reattached and now it is fixed! Thanks mang!!!

Quick Reply: 94 F150 A/C Help...