Pre-1997 Models

Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Steering Leak

Got a new issue ( what is the deal with my trucks lately! The wife's Expy has eaten over $1,200 this month ).... anyway... HiOSlvr seems to have developed a steering gear box leak... looks like it is leaking directly from the output shaft. Have checked hoses and the pump was just replaced in the spring ( had a squeal.. wasn't the pump... figures ). Is there a simple seal to be replaced ( which will most likely require removing the gear box I'm sure ) OR is it new/reman gear box time. Thanks for your help/opinions.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well my 92 blew a seal in the gearbox borrowed a tool from autozone bought a seal like 4 or 5 bucks and it didnt take more than an hour.... Good luck

Daniel

Old 09-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The seal in question is the sector shaft seal. It is the seal directly above the pitman arm. Replacing it will require removing the pitman arm nut-1 5/16", and the pitman arm which requires a puller(mark it for install reference). There is a snap ring that will need to be removed after that. If you are lucky, starting the truck and holding the wheel hard to one side will blow the seal out. If not, and you aren't having luck getting it out, remove the two 3/4" bolts on the top of the gear box and pull straight out. If you do this, MAKE SURE NOT TO TURN ANYTHING, untill the seal is replaced and the sector shaft(what you pull out) is back in.

Good luck.

Robbie

Quick Reply: Steering Leak